Can I expect swelling to go down any more? It's been 3 and a half months and nose actually looks bigger/less refined. (photo)

I had a septoplasty/rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty was to make my nose symmetrical as it goes off to one side. I also needed a nasal valve repair on one side and therefore the Dr. said my tip would be refined. Dr. said nose is healed but it looks bigger and less defined and still isn't symmetrical. When I wake up in the mornings my nose looks absolutely humongous and not sure why that is either. What is your take on this? Photos on left side are before and photos on right are after shots. Thank you!

Swelling after primary rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling at three months is still within normal. You should be following up with your surgeon at this point to monitor your progress. It may take up to a year for the nose to stabilize and shrink completely.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I expect swelling to go down any more? It's been 3 and a half months and nose actually looks bigger/less refined.

+1

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

ILL Defined Nose/Postop Swelling

+1

Postop recovery of a rhinoplasty/septoplasty can be quite frustrating. First thing to keep in mind is that any operated area on the body takes upwards of 12-18 months to heal. When it is in the middle of your face it is hard to remain patient and not focus on the area. Swelling in the morning at 5 months is quite normal. I usually let my patients know that there are good days and bad days with swelling and this can last the duration of the recovery period. From your photos, you appear to have thicker nasal skin which will hold swelling longer and take longer to heal. I am not sure if your nasal tip was operated on and if so what was altered. You may want to check with your surgeon. So in conclusion, my opinion is you are not finished with the healing. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to remain patient. Best of Luck.

George T. Moynihan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after rhinoplasty

+1

Your surgeon did a nice job of improving your symmetry and addressing your nasal valves/middle vault. Your nostril asymmetry is also improved. It's important to remember that rhinoplasty is a surgery of improvement, not perfection, and full healing can take 1-2 years. Your nose should continue to gain refinement as you heal.

Donald B. Yoo, MD