Can I Expect my Nose to Look Exactly the Same After Bump from Injury is Removed/rasped? (Photos)

I sustained a small bump or callus from a hit to the nose 1 1/2 mths ago. I'll be having a septoplasty/turbinate reduction and possibly also having the bump removed to reveal my prior nasal structure-straight bridge. Is this completely realistic, given how slight this bump is... to have it rasped? Will my bridge stay the same width from a frontal profile view? I asked my plastic surgeon most of these questions and we agreed that it is extremely slight, but he would however make it straight.

Trauma to the nose

+2

You are still very early after your trauma to the nose.  I would wait for another 6 months before you consider reconstructive surgery.  

Bump on nose after trauma

+2

Since you are still pretty recent from your accident, I think that it is best to wait at least 6 months to see how it settles down. You may be pleasantly surprised and avoid surgery.

Can I Expect my Nose to Look Exactly the Same After Bump from Injury is Removed/rasped?

+2

It is likely that rasping will straighten the profile and eliminate the bump from your bridge. It is still quite early after your injury and difficult to know whether you will continue to see significant improvement in the bump on your bridge without surgery. I hope this information is helpful. 

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Still healing

+1

Without actually feeling the bones, it is hard for me to give you a really accurate opinion.  However, it seems a bit early to intervene.  Have you tried massage.  This may all go away on its own with conservative treatment. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a bump

+1

Dear jnnfrdmnc,

1. You can remove the bump and it can look very close to what it did before
  2. You do have a pretty nose from the picture
  3. You can rasp out the edges so that it will look good from the frontal view as well

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Shaving down nasal hump to restore original shape

+1

After the hump is removed the nose should look pretty much the same from the side profile. When shaving down a hump the nose can give the appearance of a wider profile from the frontal view.

3 months might be better.

+1

At only 6 weeks out from the trauma, it is possible that this area will remodel further (and look better). It's also possible that if improvement occurs, you wouldn't need to do anything.  Any fullness that remains at 3 months from nasal trauma is probably permanent and that might be a better time to do something like rasping. So, my advice would be to discuss waiting an additional 6 weeks before doing the septoplasty, turbinate reduction in hopes that you wouldn't need the rasping. Give your body every opportunity to correct itself first.  Best of luck!  

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Perfection is probably an unrealistic expectation after rhinoplasty.

+1

Your nose should look very close to where it was prior to the injury. To say that it will look exactly the same is probably overstating the case.