What Can I Expect from Rhinoplasty to Correct my Wide, Bulbous Nose? (photo)

As you can see in the picture, my nose is quite large and bulbous especially when I smile. I would like it to be less round at the end and spread out less, but hate the idea of a pinched "Michael Jackson" nose. What techniques are available for noses like mine and should I consider going to a plastic surgeon specializing in ethnic noses even though I am white/European?

What can I expect from rhinoplasty to correct my wide, bulbous nose?

+1

It is possible to refine the nasal tip without creating a "pinched" appearance. There are many great techniques for refining a bulbous nasal tip which include the following:

1) Suture Reshaping - Sutures can be placed through the cartilage in the nasal tip region of the nose to narrow the tip. The suturing techniques I use are a variety of intradomal, interdomal, and transdomal sutures.

2) Cephalic Trimming - A patient with a wider, more bulbous looking nose may benefit from a cephalic trim maneuver. This involves trimming or removal of the overly prominent cartilage along the upper edge. In the process, the lower lateral cartilage is made less bulbous and the nasal tip begins to appear more defined. A cephalic trim maneuver must be done very carefully to ensure proper symmetry of the nasal tip.

3) Cartilage Grafting - Cartilage grafting to the tip is used to support a weak tip or use to raise a drooping or flat tip. It can also be used to increase the projection, distance of the tip from the face from the profile.

It is not necessary to seek the advice of an ethnic rhinoplasty specialist. Do your homework, and look for a surgeon with board certification, great credentials, a good amount of before and after photos showcasing their results, and great testimonials. Thanks and good luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

A good candidate for rhinoplasty and video imaging.

+1

You have facial features, thin skin and good tip support, that predicts a good result with rhinoplasty. I think video imaging would be a useful way to see what might be accomplished in the operating room and whether that pleases you.

Correcting a wide, bulbous nasal tip

+1

It appears as though you can get an excellent result by narrowing the tip of your nose.  This is commonly done with removing some of the cartilage from the nasal tip.  Sutures are also used in order to narrow the tip even more into a more aesthetic shape.  The sutures can be placed in different directions and levels in order to narrow the tip of your nose without making it too narrow as you indicated in your question.  The surgery is typically done as an outpatient with minimal recovery and discomfort.  Having done many nose surgeries on ethnic noses and caucasion noses, I believe you'll be in good hands without seeking out a plastic surgeon who only specializes in ethnic noses.  Good luck!  Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Bulbous nose.

+1

Hi Dahlia4455.  I am looking at the fotos you sent. I think you could obtain a fairly dramatic improvement from a rhinoplasty  I think an open approach would give the greatest ability to reduce and reshape your tip.  The cartilages are fairly prominent however your skin does not appear excessively thick which will allow more refinement of the tip.  It also appears from the front view that the width of the nostrils may need to be narrowed.  During a consultation a detailed exam of your nose and thorough explanation of the surgical plan should be performed.  When a rhinoplasty is performed something is done to all parts of the nose to give the most natural result.  Good luck.

William H. Sabbagh, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous tip rhinoplasty for wide nose

+1

The bulbous tip is addressed with a combination of techniques which include a conservative cartilage removal of the lower lateral cartilages of the tip of the nose and  intra-domal suture techniques to narrow and refine the nasal tip.   It is best to go to a experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Virtual rhinoplasty software is also available on the link below to give yourself an idea  what your nose might look like after the surgery

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip

+1

You should have improvement with a rhinoplasty.  The main concern is skin thickness.  The skin thickness determines how much your nose can be made smaller.  Find a surgeon that does a lot of rhinoplasties whether ethnic or not.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

What Can I Expect from Rhinoplasty to Correct my Wide, Bulbous Nose?

+1

The bulbous tip can be predictably refined through a closed rhinoplasty approach to create a natural result with minimal downtime.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Absolute

+1

The solution for the problem you have is a rhinoplasty, the best result will be with an open technique, due to the fact that your cartilages will be approach under a direct visualization.

you do have a thick skin however is not as thick as a ethnic nose skin, your best option will be to see a board certified plastic surgeon member of the American Society for Aesthetic plastic surgery, this will assure you, the surgeon has been board certified for at least two years and his practice is focused on cosmetic surgeries

Good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Bulbous tip comes in 3 varieties: cartilagenous, fibrofatty and scarred from previous rhinoplasty. Yours is the cartilagenous type. It would serve you best to see a surgeon who deals with bulbous tips on a regular basis. Below is a video that shows techniques employed for cartilagnous bulbous tip.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS