What should I expect from MOHS surgery? (photo)

I have been diagnosed with Basal Cell Carcinoma, of the eyelid. I recently consulted with a MOHS Surgeon, and will consult with an eye surgeon, prior to the surgeries. I have had it for about two years. Does Basal Cell usually require any Chemo or Radiation, after surgery? How far does the tumor usually go, so close to the eye?

What should I expect from MOHS surgery?

+2
Basal cell carcinoma very, very rarely metastasizes and rarely requires treatment beyond surgical excision and reconstruction. Your Mohs surgeon will be able to tell you at the time of Mohs excision that the skin cancer has been totally removed and does not require further treatment. Again, it is very rare for a basal cell carcinoma to require treatment beyond excision.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Basal cell carcinoma treatment

+1
Mohs surgery has the highest cure rate for the treatment of Basal cell cancer, and given the location on the eyelid, it is the most tissue sparing procedure. Two years is a long enough time that you might have allowed the cancer to form some microscopic roots. Generally surgery is highly curative and radiation is only considered in a handful of cases when the cancer is very aggressive.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon