What to Expect from AHA Chemical Peel?

I have used a very thick creme over the winter and it created bumps under my skin. Not acne or blackheads, it is much deeper under the skin. Will the peel help with that? - How long before and after can I tan? I have read you are supposed to protect you skin from the sun. - Is there any do and don't for before and after the peel? Sorry for all the questions, never had one done.

What to expect from a chemical peel

+2

It sounds like you are describing milia which are small cysts underneath the skin. While a chemical peel may help somewhat, they usually need to be extracted to effectively remove the cysts. I would suggest a consultation with your dermatologist prior to scheduling any procedure. If you do opt for a chemical peel it is very important to limit sun exposure for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after. Sun exposure can increase the risk of side effects like pigment change and redness after a chemical peel. If you have a history of cold sores make sure to let the person performing the peel know so that you can be given prophylaxis.

During the peel you can expect some mild stinging which usually lasts for a few minutes. Your skin may remain pink for 2 days and then will begin to peel on days 3-7.  I have patients avoid using any treatment products like retin-a or glycolic based products until the peeling has subsided.

Wilmington Dermatologic Surgeon

Thick creams clog the skin. Peels can help improve this, but more may be required.

+1

Thick creams clog the skin. Peels can help improve this, but more may be required. A dermatologist can help decide if oral or topical medicines are needed.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Will Bumps under skin resolve with a peel

+1

The cause of bumps under your skin is still unclear despite your relating it to a certain cream. You should seek the advice of a board certified dermatologist to determine the cause and then the treatment of the bumps under your skin. Typically peels will not affect "bumps" under the skin.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon