What to Expect After a Smart Lipo Revision?

I had smart lipo done in August. Although my stomach is flatter the dr. is not totally pleased with the bumps and is offering to do a revision (free of charge). Of course I am going to do it but I don't know what to expect recovery-wise. I really don't want to be wearing the compression garment all summer and be swollen for a long period of time. The office is telling me this is a much simpler procedure but don't know if I should wait until the Fall or do it now. Thanks in advance!

Revision after smartlipo

+1

Whenever there is revision, there is more chance of bruising because the surgeon is working through scar tissue. You might be bothered in your summerwear by the amount and duration of bruising.  Tenderness might be more than you had the first time in the areas of revision.  Although the amount of area worked on during your revision may be much less than the orginal surgery, the risks are the same, or more.  There probably won't be much more collagen formed between now and the Fall if you choose to wait until then, after you enjoy the summer, so the amount of bruising or risk shouldn't be worse whether you do it now or then. Please realize that you may still have some lumps after the revision and may need more treatment.

Revison liposuction

+1

Without seeing you in person it is very hard to say whether or not you would benefit from a revision.  Certainly 6 months after your previous surgery you should be seeing the final result +/- small amount of residual swelling.

Be very careful about liposuction revisions!!

+1

The typical patient who needs liposuction thinks the surgeon "will get it right this time."  In actuality, the surgeon gave you their best effort already and either they aren't very good, or your tissue elasticity isn't very good.

Either way, revisions usually don't make things as much better as you want and sometimes can make things much worse.  Be very careful!!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Smartlipo revision surgery can carry more risks than the original surgery

+1

Smartlipo revision surgery can carry more risks than the original surgery. That is because the surgery must now revise scar tissue formed fromthe first surgery and results may be more unpredictable.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

+1

I agree with you, wait. But first you must be sure there will be no fee if you wait. Clear that issue before deciding. Regards from MIAMI 

Timing of SmartLipo revision

+1
Revisions are typically a matter of preference and as such can be done at your convenience. There is no time constraint other than allowing for much of the swelling to resolve (3-6 months). With respect to recovery, it is typically much quicker as the area treated is smaller and the treatment less extensive. So you don't have to worry! Do the revision when it best suits you! Best, KC

Kirk A. Churukian, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon