Exfoliation After a Chemical Peel?

I had a b-liftx chemical peel and today is the 6th day. My skin started to peel a little on the 4th day and it is around the sides of my nose and random areas on my cheeks and mouth area.

Would exfoliating my skin with a scrub help or worsen the condition? Also, when is a good time to follow up with an at-home peel? I was thinking of AVON's ANEW CLINICAL Advanced Retexturizing Peel. Thanks in advance.

Using Scrub after a Chemical Peel

+1

After a chemical peel you want to give the skin time to have cellular rejuvenation and enough time to heal.  It is best to wait until the skin begins to peel itself and then use a gentle exfoliant . Since skin peeling is the important part of the chemical peel process, you should give your skin some additional time to that process to be completed and for your skin to get some protection layer. Sometimes, using the scrub way to early will damage the skin and might cause acne breakouts and hyperpigmintation. Always check with your skin care specialists or doctor before you use an additional exfoliation after a peel.

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peel Tips

+1

Exfoliation after a chemical peel is simply a sign that that peel has worked. A chemical peel, by definition, should exfoliate the skin. That is how they work. However, right after you have had such a peel, you should not be trying to aid that exfoliation by using scrubs at home. Having said that, the over-the-counter chemical peels such as the Avon peel can be used, but should not be used for at least a month after the in-office chemical peel.

David Goldberg, MD

I prefer to wait 10 days to 2 weeks after chemical peel

+1

I like to wait until the peeling from the chemical peel is complete before using another exfoliating agent on the skin. Chances are you would be fine to start the scrub at this time, but too much irritation of the skin can cause negative effects, including pigmentary problems.

Frequent application of a bland moisturizer, e.g. Cetaphil, Aveeno or Cerave can expedite the peeling and healing process.

Scrubs and at-home peels can be re-started at about 2 weeks following your chemical peel.

Happy Peeling.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Exfoliation after chemical peels

+1

A great option for you is to get a glycolic wash to gently exfoliate the skin. Scrubs can be too harsh and cause acne breakouts and hyperpigmentation and should only be used on completely healthy healed skin so wait 6 weeks before using scrubs.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist