Exfoliating Cream Safe on Eye Area?

can you use creams or lotions with 8% glycolic acid on the eye area?

Keep skin care regimens simple

+1

The eyelid skin is extremely delicate and putting different products in this area can lead to allergic and irritant contact dermatitis, so it is important to use topicals with safe ingredients.  In my opinion, less is more for a skin care regimen.  I prefer a regimen that incorporates a non-irritating face wash such as Cetaphil cleanser, a sunscreen during the day, a bland moisturizer, and a topical retinoid in selected patients.

Houston Dermatologist

Be careful with glycolic acid around the eyes!

+1
The skin around your eyes is the thinnest and most delicate skin on your body. For this reason I would proceed slowly and cautiously. If you decide to do this I would dilute your cream with something harmless like Cetaphil moisturizing cream. Mix 3 parts Cetaphil to 1 part glycolic 8%...this will create a 2% glycolic acid cream that you can start with for a few weeks first. Then if you tolerate this well you can try advancing to 2 parts Cetaphil and 1 part glycolic for another 2 weeks and so on. This will give that delicate skin a chance to adjust. If your skin gets red, swollen, flaky or irritated stop everything and use only Vaseline for 3 days, then start again, only slower. Good luck!
Austin Dermatologist