Exercising and Weight Training Before Smartlipo?

I went in for a consult and decided to get smart lipo done.I am very active and eat fairly healthy but have those stubborn areas.I weight train heavy 3 days a week with 2 days cardio.I was told by the consult(not the doctor) to stop all weight training til after the smart lipo but that I could continue cardio.I don't want to lose the muscle I have built up and my surgery is scheduled for 4 months from now?That is a long time with out my weight training.any advice?

Be ware of cosmetic "consultants"!! See the doctor!!

+2

Most reputable real plastic surgeons see the patients themselves and this establishes the relationship between them and the patient.  Believe it or not, you are not only choosing the doctor who is best for you, they are also choosing the patients who are best for them - and letting the one's they don't want go elsewhere.  

When there is a "consultant" involved, this is often a liposuction factory setting where the consultant is paid to get you signed up and will say that you can have whatever you want.  Be very wary of these situations!!!  I can't emphasize this enough.

Your consultant's advice makes no sense, probably because they aren't a doctor and have no medical training.

+2

ALWAYS ask the doctor yourself! Yes 4 months is very long I would not believe the "consultant". Good luck from MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Cosmetic consultants?

+1

First, you should not have to avoid exercise before surgery.   Second, why are you not speaking with the operating doctor?  A consultant sounds like a sales person?

Continue Exercising and Weight Training Before Cosmetic Surgery?

+1

Regarding: "Exercising and Weight Training Before Smartlipo?
I went in for a consult and decided to get smart lipo done.I am very active and eat fairly healthy but have those stubborn areas.I weight train heavy 3 days a week with 2 days cardio.I was told by the consult(not the doctor) to stop all weight training til after the smart lipo but that I could continue cardio.I don't want to lose the muscle I have built up and my surgery is scheduled for 4 months from now?That is a long time with out my weight training.any advice
?"

Respectfully, that makes NO sense and emphasizes why you should see your surgeon (to whom you will be entrusting your body and future) instead of a sales person who may have several titles (patient coordinator, surgery consultant, surgery coordinator, etc).

It does not make any sense for a person who never worked out to embark on a fitness regimen just before surgery AND it makes no sense for someone who is active such as yourself to stop such a regimen.

Consider this as a warning signal. You really should make every effort to understand why your surgeon may want you to stop your fitness regimen and then ask yourself if it is a preference or a medically sound advice.

Dr. Peter Aldea