Can You Exercise Your Lower Body in the First Week After Your Breast Implantation Surgery?

Exercise after three weeks

+1
You will be able to begin your regular exercise routine, specifically aerobic and lower body weight training after three weeks. It's too early at one week.

Is exercise of the lower body ok 1 week after breast augmentation

+1

I typically ask my patients to not elevate their blood pressure for 2 weeks after surgery.  After that, you can slowly work out by walking or stationary bike as long as you do not use your upper body and then gradually increase your activity incorporating upper body after about 4 weeks.  Give yourself more time if you want to do other activities such as yoga, lifting or cross fit.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation

+1

I know it's hard for active folks to slow down, but I caution all my patients to avoid any exercise besides walking for at least 4 weeks.  Your body needs time to heal and the pectoral muscle are activated just for arm balance even with lower body exercises.   Lifting weight also increases blood pressure which could lead to bleeding.  For the best results listen to the advice of your plastic surgeon.  All the best, dr K

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Exercise that avoids breast and are movement permissible shortly after breast augmentation.

+1

I asked patients to refrain from athletic activity that would involve vigorous use of the arms or cause significant movement of the breast such as jogging for four weeks. They are permitted to do other forms of exercise. A stationary bike is a good example of an accepted postoperative exercise.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

+1

Most surgeons recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks.   I would not recommend lower extremity exercise just 1 week after breast augmentation.  You can get your heart rate and blood pressure up which could increase your risk for swelling, or worse, bleeding, which could lead to a hematoma.   Please talk to your PS about his/her specific postop instructions.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS