Exercise After Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift?

It has been 30 days since I had Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift. What types of exercise are safe for me to do?

Return to work after Tummy tuck and Mastopexy

+2

These procedures are performed differently by different surgeons and therefore the activity limitations and restrictions may vary accordingly.

Only your surgeon really knows what was done during the procedure and the implications for return to normal activities.

Post-op from tummy tuck

+1

POst-op care for most surgeries that we do include limiting aerobic exercise for about 3 weeks and heavy lifting and sit-ups for about 6 weeks.

Don't Go Too Crazy

+1

After 4 weeks you can do most thing but nothing that will put significant strain on the abdominal muscles. This includes heavy lifting, abdominal work-outs with sit-ups etc. I allow my patients to do their cardio and arm weights as long as they do the weights sitting to remove abdominal strain. At 6 weeks you're good to go with anything.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Walking, coughing, deep breathing

+1

Exercise post op is inportant, but coordinating with your surgeon is paramount.  You are starting to feel good, but you are not healed.  Any vigorous or heavy activity could cause you to tear things up inside.  Check with your doctor, and don't hurt yourself or your nice new figure.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Need to know details of surgery...

+1

Hi there- I would agree with my colleague below- only your surgeon is going to understand exactly what was done to you and when they would be comfortable allowing you to increase your activity.

I would call your surgeon's office and speak to your surgeon or ask at your next scheduled visit. 

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Questions for your surgeon

+1

These are obviously questions for your own surgeon to answer. He knows you and your surgery and is responsible for your after-care. There are various types of lifts and tummy tucks, and specifics can get lost in translation. You might have had a hernia that was repaired in a way that is different than just repairing a diastasis but not included in the shorthand term tummy tuck.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Gentle exercise progression after tummy tuck and breast lift

+1

I recommend a gentle progression to light exercise. First walking, some light weight upper body and arms, etc. By 2-3 months you could engage the abdominal muscles in your muscle training.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS