Beneficial to Exercise Before TT?

Is it beneificial to exercise before a TT? Do you do it to get rid of as much fat as you can? Also, exercising before TT help your muscles?

Tummy Tuck as a reward or a jump start to healthier lifestyle?

+1

This seems to be the age old question...when to do a tummy tuck? I agree with many others that in order to achieve the best results, one's weight should be stabilized at or near their ideal body weight for a significant period of time (i.e. 3 months).  This usually occurs due to a healthy diet and regular exercise.  Many patients use this surgery as a reward to themselves for the successful lifestyle changes they have made.

However, I have also seen the patient population that want to make a change and need a jumpstart to this.  I do like to see a plan in place and steps taken to ensure the lifestyle change is in order and that usually includes starting an exercise program.  I also try to ensure my patients understand that their results, althoug still profound, may not be as superior as that seen in one who is at their ideal body weight.  Many times after an abdominoplasty and/or liposuction, the confidence gained from their new figure truly inspires that patient to stick to their healthy lifestyle changes and to even improve upon the surgical results.

As others have mentioned, though, this does not include a crash diet,starrving oneself prior to the surgery, or other short term changes.The healing process is dependent upon balanced nutrition and being as healthy as possible.  Any lifestyle alteration must be sustainable in order to achieve and maintain the best results possible. Good luck. 

Maintain your normal, healthy lifestyle before surgery

+1

Hi there-

Unless being overweight is a reason you are currently not a candidate for surgery, there is no benefit to altering your lifestyle in a way that will not be sustainable for you over the long term, as whatever changes your body goes through as a result will be reversed as you return to your more normal lifestyle after surgery- leading to an unpredictable result and the potential for your unhappiness.

Stick to the healthy, normal diet and lifestyle that has made you a good candidate for the procedure in the first place. 

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Exercise before Tummy Tuck

+1

As my colleagues have stated, to achieve the best results from a tummy tuck, you should be at or close to your ideal body weight.   And healthy lifestyle with balanced nutrition and exercise is encouraged before and after your surgery (after you have recovered) to maintain and optimize your results.  Best of luck

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Exercise Before TT

+1

You should be be at your healthy, long term stable weight prior to your surgery. If exercise and healthy eating habits are part of your routine then you should continue prior to the surgery. You do not want to ramp up exercising and then stop as the resulting increase in weight may impact the results.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Exercise and weight loss before tummy tuck?

+1

The best scenario before tummy tuck surgery is to be of near ideal body weight , and physically fit, with a healthy diet.  This gives you the best chance for great results and an uncomplicated, rapid recovery.  So while it is beneficial to exercise before tummy tuck, all diet and exercise changes should be part of a lifestyle change many months prior to undergoing surgery.  Crash diets and intense exercise that are not normal for you very close to surgery can be detrimental.  A diet and exercise plan is also essential after surgery to maintain and improve your new body contour for many years to come.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Need to exercise before a tummy tuck?

+1

It's always beneficial to exercise, but you don't need to do anything special prior to a tummy tuck, because all the excess skin and fat is totally excised anyway. The muscles are sutured back together the way they were before your first pregnancy. Exercise by itself cannot create a flat tummy. You need surgery to repair the abdominal muscles. The older you get, the more important exercise becomes. Better get started now regardless of you upcoming surgery.  

Dr Foster 

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Exercise Before a Tummy Tuck

+1

Excellent question.  I would recommend following these general guidelines.

1. Exercise:  Yes, I think that patients who exercise regularly before surgery recover more quickly. Make sure that you include strengthening of your core including your abdominal muscles in your workouts.  In addition, regular exercise is an important component of a good weight loss program.

2.  Losing weight through a healthy, well-balanced diet and regular exercise is also a good idea.  However, your weight should be stable for a few months prior to your actual surgery date.  Of course, the need for weight loss prior to surgery varies from person to person depending on an individual's current height and weight.

3. Nonetheless, some of my tummy tuck patients have found that it is easier to lose weight after surgery, because they are committed to maintaining or even improving the results that they have achieved through body contouring surgery.  

Laurence Weider, MD

Your weight should be stable at the time of tummy tuck for approximately 3 months.

+1

It is always good to stay fit with a healthy diet and exercise.  Your weight should be stable at the time of tummy tuck for approximately 3 months.  It is unlikely that you would get predictable results if your weight is changing or going to change.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Working Out Before a Tummy Tuck

+1

I hate to be a contrarian, but I think that setting a goal to lose fat before a tummy tuck and associated liposuction is putting the cart before the horse.  Most of my post pregnancy tummy tucks (abdominoplasties), are done on women over 30 whose hormones are starting to change, have a separation of the abdominal musculature, have worked hard to try to lose inches and weight in the past only to find they don't have enough time to work out and take care of their families, especially since working out tends to be a losing proposition. 

Separation of the abdominal musculature (rectus diastasis) is a normal outcome of pregnancy and rarely corrects itself after the second pregnancy, therefore all the sit ups in the world won't fix the lower abdominal pot (which is really your bowels coming forward because the muscles are no longer there to hold them back).  

Body chemistry changes after pregnancy and a lot of the baby fat that comes after the second or third pregnancy becomes harder and harder to get rid of, especially as one gets older and one's hormones are changing at the same time.  

It's my experience that a well done tummy tuck with liposuction of hips (muffin tops) is such a great morale booster that my patients can then commit themselves to a diet and exercise program that is reinforcing because, finally, there is some success.

Success breeds success and that is the business that we Board Certified Plastic Surgeons have the privilege of being involved in. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Benefits of exercise before tummy tuck

+1

Everything you said is correct. And that is good, because maintaining an ideal weight and good health is essential for successful outcome and longevity of the results. You have to look at surgery as one episode in your life. The maintenance of these results rests on you by maintaining your weight and exercising. I wish you all the best.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD