How Does Exercise Affect the Skin?

I have a very fast metabolism and I'm skinny/athletic looking, but I don't exercise at all. I would've preferred the curvy look and don't want to look like some skinny porn star. I'm curious though, how much exercise do I need for glowing skin?

Excercise improves circulation

+1

Exercise improves circulation and oxygen to the skin which generally makes it healthier and more attractive.  Sweating clears the pores and helps remove toxins.  So, all in all, exercise is a positive for general health and skin health.

Skin and Exercise Level

+1

Your skin is the largest organ of your body and many things can effect its appearance - genetics, sun exposure, smoking, diet, weight fluctuations, pregnancy, injuries, illnesses and the environment.

So exercise is just one factor but a good one. Exercise will improve your cardiovascular health which will provide more oxygen to your skin and give it a better appearance. There is no specific level of exercise - just stay healthy and avoid things such as smoking and sun damage.

Do things in moderation

+1

There are no hard and fast rules here.

Exercise is great to maintain your cardiovascular system which delivers nutrients and blood supply to the skin.

Excercise promotes apocrine as well as endocrine health which also effect the skin's condition.

My general philosophy is to do things in moderation. Excessive excercise can have adverse effects as well.

Exercise is one critical component but so is nutrition, hydration, avoidance of excessive sun exposure, maintenance of weight, etc.

Lastly is the component of genetics, which is hard to control.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.