Exercise Regimen 8 Weeks Post Op Tummy Tuck

I'm 74, 8 weeks post op, fluid problems for 7 weeks. Very fit and active, bike 25 to 30 miles 5x a week, work out with trainer 3x a week, gyrotronics(stretching, core building on gyro machine) 1x a week, dance movement 1x a week, tennis 1x a week. I've been walking since day 2 post op. What is a reasonable return time to this level of activity? I am not always reasonable, don't want to have a setback. I would appreciate your guidance.

Exercise after Tummy Tuck

+2

I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (no exercise) for 4to 6 weeks after tummy tuck. After six weeks, I encourage patients to slowly resume exercise routines *gradually*. Remember, during the six week postoperative period - you will be deconditioned. I do prepare patients to notice some increased swelling once exercise is resumed. Over the next several weeks, this post-exercise edema will no longer manifest.  So you are 8 weeks, I would recommend you resume activity as tolerated.  But please check with your surgeon with respect to his/her recommendations.  Enjoy your results!

Exercise

+2

In an uncomplicated postoperative case, I allow our patients to begin light to moderate progression of exercise. However, when complicated by a seroma, it will take several more weeks for the walls to adhere and permanently close down. Any strain prior to complete closure and adherence will cause fluid to reaccumulate. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

+2

I typically tell my patients that at 8 weeks after surgery, they can resume all exercise that they did before surgery.  However in your case, where you have had fluid problems for 7 weeks after surgery, I would want to follow you every 2 weeks to be sure that the tissues have adhered before I gave you clearance to do anything high impact & any streching. I advise you to consult with your operating surgeon and follow his/her instructions.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after a tummy tuck

+1

Your surgeon should give you guidance for your particular case. Generally after 4 to 6 weeks I tell my patients they can return to their normal activities. I would recommend that with your level of exercise, however that you need to increase gradually. Do not push yourself, do what feels comfortable, let your body tell you how much you can tolerate. If you find you get any swelling, back off, you have done too much. Do not work out to the point of exhaustion.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD