Exercise Prior to BA/BL and TT Surgery? (photo)

I have been following a fairly agressive strength training (heavy lifting) and cardio for over one year now. I am scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks. Is it best to wind down my exercise to avoid fluid retention and soreness going into surgery or keep my workouts up?

Exercise before your mommy makeover

+1

I think you can continue your workout regimen up to the day before your surgery.  Of course, after your surgery, there should be no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  You need to give time for your incisions to heal. 

Best wishes!
Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Modification of preop exercise regimen probably has little effect on postop recovery mommy makeover.

+1

I probably wouldn't have a prolonged workout the day before the operation. Short of that I don't see that it would have much effect on the procedure.

Exercise before mommy makeover

+1

You can continue your exercise program up to your surgery date. Your final outcome will not be affected by exercise or lack of exercise. Discuss this in more detail with your plastic surgeon before surgery.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Exercise before BA/BL and tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question about exercise before your breast lift and breast enlargement and your tummy tuck.

• Keep up your exercise before your cosmetic surgery.
  • If your program is exhausting or leaves you sore, stop 2 days before to rest your body.
  • You can't exercise this much for 6 weeks after a tummy tuck - keeping up the exercise minimizes down time.
  • Keep up the good work. Being fit is a great way to prepare for breast augmentation and lift and for tummy tuck surgery.
  • Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

+1

You need to ask your chosen surgery the pre operative protocol s/he uses. I would wind down in my practice. 

Maintaining active exercise habits prior to surgery

+1

There is really no reason for your to change your well established exercise habits prior to surgery.  You will, of course, need to slow down for a few weeks after surgery.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to understand your medical condition and the extent of your planned surgery.  

Exercise plan leading up to cosmetic surgery

+1

I do not see any reason to wean down your exercise regimen leading up to cosmetic surgery, except to say that I wouldn't go real hard in the few days leading up to surgery. As with any other patient, maintain a healthy diet and remain well hydrated.  Please make sure you understand your post-operative exercise limitations as indicated by your surgeon.  Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD

Exercising Prior to Breast and Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Congratulations on your apparently very healthy lifestyle. I think that patients like yourself do very well with the planned procedure during the recovery process and in the longer term. I see no reason why you should “wind down” your exercise program prior to surgery.  If anything, maintaining your routine will help you be at your best physically,  mentally, and emotionally prior to proceeding. 

I have also attached some advice that I provide to my patients who are about to go tummy tuck surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.