Exercise in Preparation for a Mastectomy

Hello, I'd really appreciate some advice because I can't find the answer to this question anywhere: I'm due to have a risk-reducing double mastectomy in a few months and I's wondering what kind of exercise to do in preparation. I want to have implant-only breast reconstruction under the muscle using tissue expansion and I don't want to make my chest wall tighter, assuming this is a potential problem? I'd really appreciate any guidance you can provide. Many thanks in advance.

Preparation of Bilateral prophylatic mastectomy and reconstruction

+2

There is really no exercise that can prepare you better for this surgery.   Good nutrition (balanced diet) and staying away from cigarettes and second hand smoking are good things to do before any surgery.  Hope this helps.  Dr. Basu

Prepararion for mastectomy and reconstruction

+1

Ther really is no prep in terms of working out. I would stick with your general routine and avoid any blood thinning meds.

Mastectomy Reconstruction

+1

I generally dont have my patients do any particular exercises prior to their mastectomy surgery.  What I do ask is that they stop smoking 4 weeks before the surgery and 4 weeks after the surgery and to be in generally good shape.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Preparing for a mastectomy

+1

There is no known advantage to preoperative chest wall exercises before implant breast reconstruction. More important is to make sure you are in optimal health. Eat well , general aerobic exercises, vitamins, and avoiding aspirin etc. Your surgeon will give a list of do's and don'ts prior to your surgery.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Exercise in preparation for a mastectomy.

+1

You really should consult the operating surgeons for their advise. I really do not recommend any pre operative exercises in preparation for a double mastectomy.

Regards From MIAMI Dr. B

Breast Reconstruction Preparation

+1

For the procedure you plan, the only thing you need is a good diet, mild pectoral strengthening exercises (pulling down and in with weights on pulleys) and stopping smoking (if you are a smoker). The muscle exercises are the only thing that would change with a different reconstructive method. For example, if you were to have a TRAM reconstruction, you would need abdominal muscle strengthening exercises.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon