Getting in Shape with a Nintendo Wii?

I see that some new Nintendo Wii games are being heavily advertised right now for the fitness benefits... I am just wondering if working out via video game is actually good exercise.  Doctors - do you think that exercising with Wii video games will actually help me get in shape? 

Absolutely! It is interactive and goal oriented, which is a must for getting results!

+1

Successful exercising requires discipline. The best part about the Wii fit (I have it at my house) is that it is goal oriented. You are actually interacting with the game, which almost feels like you have a personal trainer. I highly recommend this to most patients.

Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Wii Fit can help with weight loss

+1

Hi there-

The new Wii games, such as Wii Fit, are actually very effective in teaching you proper exercise technique and will definitely get your heart rate up (I tried it in a local store and left with a good sweat!).

Many retailers have a Wii on display and will let you try the program- check it out- I bet you are convinced it will be a good workout.

The bottom line when you want to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in each day- anything that increases you caloric burn by increasing your body's workload will, when combined with a healthy reduction in caloric intake, cause you to lose weight. The Wii Fit certainly would work.

And it's fun!

Good luck with your weight loss, and Happy New Year!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS