Can Exercise Metabolize the Effects of Juverderm?

I had Juvederm in my lips a year ago with a repeated injection about a month later and the results both times lasted no more than 4 weeks. This past weekend I thought I would try it again and am afraid the same thing will happen. I want to go back to working out (pretty intensely) but I am afraid this could quicken the metabolism of the Juverderm? Is that possible or can I go ahead and start exercising again - I really miss it!

Fillers and exercise

+3

I have seen several references in my professional journals regarding the lowering of longevity  of fillers in people who exercise due to the increase blood flow in the skin. I do know we see more bruising in my patients if they exercise the next day or two after injection.This  is  sad news to those of us who are addicted to working out but I think the benefit  of both fillers and exercise is worth it!

Lincoln Dermatologist

Juvederm and working out

+2

Exercise does not change the molecule but constantly moving it with straining etc may spread it out more , causing it to flatten before it should. Typically, the only time I see product not lasting is when it is moved, when people smoke a lot or when too little product or too thin a product was used.

For the lines around the mouth, if the muscles are pumping the filler out, a little bit of Botox or Dysport may be used to relax the muscles

The big thing with fillers and Botox is to combine them in ways that they act together, this might be a case where you need to do that.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and exercise

+2

I have not heard of exercise induced juvederm absorption.  Sounds interesting but nothing on it in the literature as far as I know.  You may want to look at your pre and post treatment photos.

Metabolizing a filler

+1

Every person breaks down or metabolizes a filler at different rates. Also, different areas of the face will have different amounts of longevity of the filler. That said, I do find that body builders in particular who clench their teeth, and strain their face, seem to metabolize botox and fillers more quickly.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and exercise

+1

Injectable fillers such as Juvederm should last longer then four weeks.  It is important to remember that any injectable placed into the lips will typically cause moderate swelling.  This swelling peaks around 48 hours and will usually take about 7-14 days to completely resolve.  However, it is conceivable that edema lingers for several weeks to a month.   After surgeries like rhinoplasty or face lifts, edema will typically last six months to a year.  One thing to consider is that it is not the Juvederm wearing off at four weeks, but the remainder of the swelling.  The best way to evaluate change would be to compare photographs before and after the procedure.

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Absorption with Exercise

+1

Everyones metabolism works differently.  I have never seen any studies or proof of a speedy absorption of Juvederm due to exercise.  

Dr. Grant Stevens        

Grant Stevens, MD

Working out after Juvederm injections

+1

I have not seen a link between exercise and decreased longevity of filler.  I agree with Dr. Beer that should try a combination of a neurotoxin and fliier in this area to see if that extends the lifespan of your product.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD