Will Exercise (Not Just Massaging) Encourage my Implant to Drop?

I am 5 weeks post op and I have saline 350 cc under muscle. My right hasn't dropped while my left has dropped and fluffed already. I am close to point where exercising will be allowed, will running/cardio etc encourage my right to drop or will it make the muscle even tighter? Massaging hasn't done much up till this point. Note: healing is great stitches have dissolved, I plan to discuss this with my doc next week just curious to other advice. Thanks!

Exercise and breast displacement exercises can help breast implants drop

+1

Thank you for your question. Of course it is important that you seek the advice and counsel of your plastic surgeon before undertaking any activity to encourage your implants to drop further. That said however breast implant displacement exercises and general exercise can help the implants drop.

Running and Exercise Affecting Breast Implant Drop?

+1

In general, running and exercise is probably ok at 5 weeks with appropriate support.  Massage and time will help with the implant drop.  I would not rely on exercise to help the implants drop.

Exercise

+1

Sometimes the breasts heal and settle at different rates. You are still very early in the recovery stage

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Too Early to Know

+1

It's too early during your postoperative course to make any conclusions and I'm sure your Plastic Surgeon will review your current restrictions on exercise.  I would recommend staying away from any activities that are uncomfortable and cause your breasts to bounce.  Implants can "settle" at different rates and you should still be placing downward pressure on the right implant 24/7 and continue your displacement exercises.  Don't be discouraged, this still may work out!

Eric Sadeh, MD

Exercise and Implant Settling

+1

Exercise unfortunately will not encourage your implant to drop. However, you are only 5 weeks out from surgery. So, it is still too early to give up on displacement massage. It will often take several months for implants to settle even with massage. Definitely follow up with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. Your surgeon may have some other tips to improve the position of your implant.

Thank you for your question. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Exercise to drop the implant

+1

Thank you for your question. Exercising after a breast augmentation will not cause the implant to drop. The rate of the settling of the implant is variable, and can be different in the 2 sides. While much of the settling is usually completed by 5 weeks, it can take longer in some cases. I would give it more time. 

As for the exercise restrictions, it is always best to check with your surgeon before resuming your exercise regimen.

Congratulations on your augmentation and good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Settling

+1

Exercising will not influence the implant position.  The implant will continue to settle over the next 6-7 weeks.  Time is the key here.  Good luck,

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Implant not dropping

+1

At five weeks it is still a bit early but you should first talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends.  I donot think exercise per se will accomplish much in terms of dropping.

Hello

+1

In our practice we give our patients a breast band to help with the placing of the implants. It is very normal for one side to heal and settle faster than the other. It’s still early on and you still have time for the implants to settle.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Asymmetric Breast Implant Settling and Exercise?

+1

Unfortunately, there is no accurate way to predict whether exercise will help a breast implant “settle".  I would agree with you that any activity that makes the pectoralis major muscle “tighter”  can potentially make the breast implant settling process slower. I suggest my patients avoid heavy lifting, push-ups, chest flies, and any other activity that activates the pectoralis major muscle (especially if there is a problem with a breast implant “dropping”).

Of course, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you after direct examination.