How Long Should I Wait After Liposuction To Start Exercising Again?

I scheduled an otoplasty for September 19th and a liposuction a week later. I exercise in the Power Plate platform three times a week and do pilates twice a week. Since the vibrating platform is new in Paraguay, doctors don't know a lot about it, and my concern is: for how long should I stop exercising? I consulted with a doctor and he told me that I'd have to rest for a couple of weeks. On the other hand, my instructor said that most of the people wait a month before start exercising again.

Early ambulation is the key to faster recoveries from liposuction.

+2

Liposuction under local tumescent anesthesia has a quicker recovery and usually better results than liposuction  under general anesthesia.  Under local, patients should start walking the very next day and start exercising in 1 week with progressive exercising over the following week to full exercise at the 2 week time.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction and exercise

+2

Following liposuction, I advise patoent to resume excercise after three weeks. I think you should start with cardio exercises on treadmill and advance it to pillates over 1 week period. I am not sure, however, why you are having two surgeries one week apart.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

When can I exercise after liposuction

+2

I usually tell patients to take it easy for 2 weeks - walking is good, but nothing too strenuous - and then slowly increase activity up until the 6 week mark.  At 6 weeks, full activity is allowed (weightlifting, pilates, contact sports, etc).  Good luck!

Michelle Spring, MD

Exercise and Liposuction

+1

Normal activity may be resumed at 2 weeks post operation to tolerance and that would include elliptical and light cardio.  In general, patients may return to office work 3-5 days after the operation, and 14 days for more active employment.  After the operation, exercises are recommended, such as walking immediately and progressive activities beginning on the 14th day, in order to minimize the adhesions between the skin and the deeper tissues. Walking, swimming, or a stationary bicycle can usually begin in a few days after surgery. Specific time periods for resumption of daily activities, work, and exercise with be further discussed by your surgeon post operation.
Early results are seen 10-14 days after surgery, but improvement continues for 4-6 months.  Persistent swelling and irregularities may be present for several months.  If antibiotics are prescribed, they should be taken as directed

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Post-op Exercise Following Liposuction

+1

I have my patients wait at least two to three weeks. The problem is you will still be wearing your conpression garment for at least that amount of time.

Donna Rich, MD

Excersie after Liposuction

+1

The standard recovery time with most procedures is 6 weeks. It is then where most patients can return to normal activity. Liposuction is an easier recovery and tends to be quicker so depending on your healing, you may be able to return sooner. I would continue follow up with your plastic surgeon and ask questions. Then he/she may release you sooner than your 6 week mark.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Liposuction and the timing of post-op exercise

+1

In general I advise my patients to be up and around after liposuction, the day or evening when they get home.  Walking and light activity ( no heavy lifting, pushing, pulling, etc).  is encouraged immediately ( but not so vigorous as to cause excess bruising and bleeding). By 2-4 weeks, most people can do moderate activity, and anything by 4-6 weeks.  I would carefully follow the advice of your plastic surgeon, as he knows the extent of your surgery and can best determine how quickly you can return to full vigorous activity.  I remind my patients that are concerned about losing "gym or work-out time " that they are burning plenty of calories healing their surgical wounds.

Jerry Lugger, MD

Liposuction and exercise

+1

In general, it is best to address postoperative care instructions with the doctor performing your surgery since he/she knows exactly what is going to be done and what restrictions may be advisable. For example, some patients, having large volume liposuction surgery, may benefit from a longer period of rest postoperatively to avoid complications that may result from hypovolemia (for example, an  accidental fall). If in doubt, in general, it is best to err on the side of conservatism and wait  on the resumption of strenuous activity. Best wishes.

Exercise after liposuction starts one hour after surgery!

+1

After liposuction I have patients walk about their house or yard 5 or 6 times in the surgery day evening.   This prevents venousis stasis and embolusism from blood clots.  Exery day thereafter I want them to walk more and more and begin to stretch a little.  I have patients start Advil, 2, 3X a day the day after liposuction.  This will not cause bleeding at that time.  I tell patients walk, but dont run for the first 2 weeks and each day do a little more.  At 2 weeks the skys the limit.  Go for it.  It may hurt a little to do some things, but you will absolutely not hurt yourself.   Best,    Dr g commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Return to Exercise After Liposuction

+1
Movement in the early post op period is important to minimize the possibility of venous thrombosis (blood clots) in the legs after any surgery. I ask my liposuction patients to be walking the first day and gradually increasing their activity levels. Low impact exercise, such as speed walking is safe. High impact exercise such as running or jumping could stimulate excess bleeding. I recomend they keep their pulse lower than 120 because a rapid pulse can cause vasodilatation which might set the stage for bleeding. Some degree of fitness can be maintained with weight training. At one month it is safe to return to vigorous aerobic exercise.

Mary Lee Peters, MD