Can Exercise Help Alleviate Burning Sensation After Coolsculpting?

I had the large applicator on my abdomen and two medium applicators on my flanks. My flanks are fine but my stomach, especially around my belly button is on fire. It literally feels like I have a bad sunburn (no redness) and it feels warm to the touch. I have been prescribed Tylenol 3 to take during night, which helps a little. I want to exercise but am afraid I am going to be in worst pain after. Some people say exercise helps with pain, is this true?

Burning sensation after Coolsculpting

+2
The abdomen is the area which is the most sensitive and patients have described a burning sensation or itching, or a neuropathy.  These symptoms generally take up to two weeks to resolve.  If you are feeling well enough to exercise you can continue to do so but if you feel more discomfort I would wait until you feel better to exercise.  Please let me know the results of your procedure.

Exercise After CoolSculpting

+2
You can always contact your provider if you are experiencing intense discomfort and have any concerns.  What you describe is very common after CoolSculpting in the lower abdomen, although not every patient goes through this.  In my practice we give patients compression garments for this sensation and the tenderness and swelling.  Some patients do not experience any of these uncomfortable symptoms but we advise every patient that this may occur and is normal.  The burning sensation is usually a delayed effect, starting a few days following treatment.  It generally does not last more than three to five days.  The compression garment can be a great relief.  Some patients feel better after stretching, exercise, or by applying cold packs.

The compression garment that we offer is part of CoolSculpting Complete which also includes dual machines and vibrational therapy for elimination of fat cells.  As a top provider of CoolSculpting my practice offers Instant Rebates for free CoolSculpting sessions with each purchased session. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+2

Thank you for your question. For some exercise helps, and others, they have elevated irritation. You will have to try an increase in activity and see if this helps. This procedure can take 6 weeks or more to have the sensations settle down so patience is key. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Skin sensitivity after CoolSculpting fat loss

+2

Patients who undergo multiple areas of CoolSculpting will often find different sensations after the treatment in the different areas. Some patients have more than one treatment session and find that the same area treated the second time feels different after surgery than the first. Some times it is just a tenderness and other times, the skin feels so exquisitely tender for a few days, that the clothing is uncomfortable, and those patients do not feel better with Spanx or exercise.There are medications that your doctor can prescribe for you possibly, that will help lessen the discomfort.

If one tries exercise and it helps, then they can continue without cause for concern, but if it makes it more uncomfortable, one should stop.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Exercise after Coolsculpting

+2

Some patients find exercise helpful to overcome the discomfort.  Some others also find compression garments, like spanx, helpful.  It seems to vary for patients if applying ice or heat works better for symptomatic relief or try alternating ice and then heat.   Any pain you're having will pass. Hang in there. Good luck 

Grant Stevens, MD