Is There Any Exercise to Fllaten the Pubis Area After a Tummy Tuck?

I've had a full mastectomy and the reconstruction of my breast was made using the fat of my tummy.I'm happy with the outcome, breast wise, but I'm really unhappy about my pubic area.It becomes bigger.I really dont't want to undergo another surgery, I've had 3 surgeries cancer related but I feel this is a problem that undermine my confidence.My body is full of scars my breast is far from normal and on top of that my pubic area seems almost masculine.What can I do about it?Thanks

Liposuction

+2

The mons can remain swollen for many months after surgery.  Usually if there is any fluid build up after surgery then it collects in the mons area.  However if the swelling does not go down then the only alternative is to liposuction this area.  Swelling after the liposuction can also take a long time to go down but it is worth it.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Pubic Area after Tummy Tuck or Breast Reconstruction

+1

For many patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery  or TRAM flap breast reconstruction the pubic area may be an area of concern after surgery. This area may be large ( prominent) , ptotic (low), or deflated.  Therefore, I think it is important to address the pubic area when performing the tummy tuck or TRAM flap surgery.

When planning these  procedures  it is possible to keep the incision  low enough that it serves to “raise” the pubic area to some degree.  I like to plan this incision when patients are wearing the “cut” of swimming suit that they plan to wear after the surgery.

During these   procedures the pubic area may then be “lifted” and/or defatted ( either directly or with liposuction) as  the specific patient's needs indicate.  Care is taken to avoid over thinning  the area since some coverage of the pubic area is important (for example for padding during intercourse).
Drains are often brought out through hair bearing areas.

You are very correct in that if the pubic area is not treated during the tummy tuck or TRAM procedure it may be a source of  dissatisfaction afterwards. Revisionary surgery may be necessary to treat the area.  This may involve further excision of skin and subcutaneous tissue or liposuction surgery depending on the situation.

Enlarged Pubic Area

+1

While recovering from an abdominoplasty or a TRAM breast reconstruction, the pubic area and genitals can remain swollen for some time, due to their dependent positions.  If retained fluid is the cause of this pubic swelling, the edema will resolve in time and no exercises will speed up this process.  Massage and support garments may help control and reduce swelling, but sufficient time to heal is essential.  If you are many months out from the procedure, this prominence is likely excess fatty tissue and liposuction would help to improve it.  Your reconstructive surgeon can certainly address this issue; it is very common to revise certain areas after the breast mound has been created.  Without photos, your description does not sound like a hernia or abdominal wall laxity issue.  I hope this information helps.    

Brian M. Braithwaite, MD

A deformed, masculine like mons following TRAM flap breast reconstruction

+1

Photos would have been helpful to better ascertain your particular situation.

Has your mons been pulled too high?

Is it too prominent?

Is it deformed in shape?

Any one of these can be fairly easily addressed with a procedure that would be far less in scope than your reconstruction. It could involve some liposuction or possibly reshaping of your mons.

See a local plastic surgeon for more specific and accurate advice.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Treatment for prominent pubis following tummy-tuck

+1

Following a tummy tuck the pubis may become pronounced. This is not uncommon. Unless it is due to swelling which should subside after months after surgery the treatment of choice is liposuction which is fairly simple and doesn't require much scarring at all. In fact a small incision can be made in the tummy tuck scar. There is no exercise to decrease it. This surgery can usually be done under local anesthesia and is a very caliber procedure in comparison to your mastectomy reconstruction.

George Lefkovits, MD

Flattening the Swollen Pubis Area After a Tummy Tuck?

+1

The Mons Pubis can become more visible and more prominent after an Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) or after breast reconstruction with tummy tissue (TRAM flap). The only recognized effective way to reduce its volume and prominence is through the use of liposuction. The liposuction can be used through the same scar as the Tummy Tuck.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Pubic swelling after tram flap can be caused by a few things

+1

Sometimes the pubic area does not change after this type of abdominal operation but only gets more noticeable when the excess abdominal skin is removed.  In this case liposuction often times is a good solution.  If it is just postoperative swelling, which is common since the pubic area is where swelling settles after this operation because of gravity, this will go away with time.  You should ask your plastic surgeon for options because quite often it can be improved.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Pubic swelling after reconstruction or tummy tuck

+1

Pubic swelling may ocur after a TRAM flap breast reconstruction or a tummy tuck.  It is usually associated with some extra fatty tissue that you may not have been aware was present before the surgery.  Often after a TRAM flap it is helpful to to perform liposuction of the abdomen to improve the overall appearance of the tummy.  This may include the pubic area.  This can be done with a local  but is often better performed with a little bit of sedation or twilight.   The goal of a TRAM flap is to create a nice breast, which  it seems to have done.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Pubic area swelling post breast reconstruction or tummy tuck

+1
Dear GE camberwell, Pubic swelling can be very bothersome after procedures such as a tummy tuck or breast reconstruction using abdominal tissue. This can be a result of elevating the pubic area in order to close the abdominal wound. Sometimes it can be temporary because of the swelling that occurs normally after surgery, however it can take up to a few months to go away. If the swelling does not go away the fat in that area might need to be suctioned under local anesthesia. I hope that was helpful. Best of luck

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS