Does Daily Exercise Affect Breast Implant Placement?

I have 600 cc implants under the muscle but I work out 6 days every week and my friend told me if i work out every day, my implants are going to be displaced and it's going to look ugly after 1 or 2 years. Should I ask my doctor to put my implants over the muscle instead?

Wear good support

+1

Exercise after breast implant surgery is not to be frowned upon. You do have pretty large implants though so you should wear good support especially when in the gym.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Given the size of your implants, I would recommend good support at all times

+1

I would not go back in for another procedure, and I do not think limiting your exercise routine at this point makes sense, as I am sure it is a source of happiness and health for you, and we never want to take that away. I think the best thing at this point is to always wear good support, especially when exercising. Nothing can 100% guarantee that the implants won't shift, but I think this gives you the best chance.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Nonesnse

+1

Avid body builders do tend to have vigorous pec majors.  Flexing these muscles can cause them to jump.  However they will return to resting position.

I would advise that you use support however, as your implants are heavy, and even under the muscle, they will tend to sag over time.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Implants under the muscle can shift

+1

There are several factors that can affect the position of implants after surgery. One is the size and weight, which contributes to bottoming out. The muscle can also push the implants downward and out. Going above the muscle creates other problems though, such as an unnatural transition from the chest into the breast. If it becomes an issue, one alternative might be the split muscle technique. there is some info on my website about it. www.drbaxter.com.

Richard Baxter, MD

Daily exercise will not affect your breast implants

+1

Daily exercise, if done in moderation, should not affect the position of your implants with time.

Because you have large implants placed underneath the muscle, I would not advise changing to a subglandular (over the muscle position). The implant edges will be much more visible in this location and will be less attractive.

I recommend a good support bra during exercise and during the day to hold the weight of the implants.

Best, Dr. Naidu

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Wear a good bra after breast implants

+1

Exercise in general does not cause implant migration. Why fix it if it is not broken? If for some reason they do migrate south, that is when you should change the pocket. In the meantime, wear a good bra.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

Exercise after breast augmentation improves results

+1

Submuscular breast implants are the best location for long term results.

After you have healed from your surgery (4-6 weeks), I have my patients begin their normal exercise routine as well as massage and pectoralis muscle contraction to help keep the implants soft and avoid capsules.

Of course, you must ask your surgeon for advice and if he/she agrees with this course of action.

If you are unhappy with the appearance of your breasts during active contraction of your pectoralis muscle, then perhaps you might consider changing the implant to a submammary location.

However, if you are happy with the appearance during muscle contraction, long term, I believe your results will be better if the implant is under the muscle.

If when you contract your pectoralis muscle, the implant is pushed out from beneath the pectoralis muscle and creates a funny bulge under the skin, below the muscle, then repeated vigorous pectoralis muscle exercise may cause the implant to bottom out.

Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

See before and after photos of breast augmentation.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Leave them below the muscle

+1

It would be best to leave them below the muscle and wear good support during exercise sessions.  Support would also be wise at all other times too.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS