Exercise Before Tummy Tuck ? Yes Or No ?

Exercise Before Tummy Tuck ? Sit ups / Crunches etc Yes Or No ? Is Surgery more Difficult to perform ? Thank You

Tummy Tuck - Exercise Before Tummy Tuck ? Yes Or No ?

+1

How about maybe?

As a rule I advise my patients not to more than their normal routine as the surgery date approaches, and to avoid any significant exercise in the several days before the procedure.  You don't want to over do it, to strain a muscle or, even worse, to sustain an injury during this period.  And in the event that you do have an injury, you may need to reschedule your procedure.

So - as a rule - your normal routine is fine, back off on everything as your surgery date approaches and, for sure, no over-the-top new routines.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Exercise Before Tummy Tuck ...

+1

There is nothing wrong with exercising prior to a tummy tuck.  Losing as much weight possible before the procedure will help give you optimal results.  Often times the tummy tuck is being done because the abdominal muscles are weak, so exercising will not really help.  If you do choose to exercise, don't over do it right before the procedure so you will not feel any soreness.  Also be sure to discuss it with your surgeon to get his or her recommendations.  Good luck!

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Exercise before abdominoplasty

+1

Exercise is permissible prior to abdominoplasty (tummy-tuck surgery).  However, it is important that your weight is stable before the surgery. Do not attempt any major weight-loss regimen immediately prior to the procedure, as this may result in poor healing due to inadequate nutritional status.  Any weight reduction regime should be completed well before the surgery, so that weight is stable for the best possible outcome.

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Exercise Before Surgery - Great Idea

+1

Patients who exercise before any type of surgery (not the day of) rebound much faster after surgery.  I do not recommend exercising the area to be operatd upon within 2 days of the surgery to avoid additional soreness.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Is it okay to exercise before Tummy Tuck surgery?

+1

This is a question that I am often asked when patients are preparing to undergo surgery.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with working out, running, or any other type of exercise in the days prior to surgical procedures.  I am happy for patients to continue a healthy diet and exercise plan up to the day before surgery when this is something that they have already been doing previously.

I would not BEGIN any type of restrictive diet or strenuous exercise plan in the days before your surgical procedure if this is not something that you have been doing previously.  Doing so may increase your blood pressure and therefore the strain on your heart which could be bad prior to a surgical procedure.  As always, when starting any new exercise or diet plan, consult with your doctor if you have any prior medical problems.  Hope this helps.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)

+1

Exercise is always a good idea. However, if you have excess skin and muscle laxity, then it is not likely to improve with exercise alone. However, exercise does not make the surgery any more difficult. Good Luck.

Donna Rich, MD

Exercise before tummy tuck

+1

Any prep exercise which improves muscle tone and cardiac wellbeing is an excellent thing. The ability to motivate yourself to exercise suggests that you will similarly be a motivated participant in your own care and will be compliant with postop instructions and that is terrific. Best of luck with your planned surgery!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Exercise in Preparation for Surgery Beneficial as Part of Healthy Lifestyle

+1

Hi there-

If you exercise routinely as part of your healthy lifestyle, then I say continue you routine until a few days before the procedure, at your usual pace and intensity. I would not want you working out extra hard because you are having surgery.

Similarly, if you are not a person who normally exercises regularly, I do not think it benefits you to start an exercise program in the weeks leading up to your surgery if you are doing so because you think it will improve your outcome or recovery- it probably will not.

On the other hand, if your surgery is months away, and you would like to achieve a better state of health, and you are beginning an exercise program as part of a healthier lifestyle that you think you will be able to maintain over the long term after your recovery period, then doing so is a smart thing.

I hope that helps you!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Preparation for TT>

+1

Thank you.

You asked two questions:

1. To exercise or not? Absolutely, please do. situps and crunches will strengthen your muscles, the rectus and other abdominal muscles. And that will help the final results by giving the uptight and retracted muscle, and taht will help your surgeon during the operation by giving him a thick muscles to suture and minimize the work he has to do for the muscles repair.

2. Is surgery difficult to do? The abdominplasty ( or TT) is a very common procedure in certain areas of the world. It is 2-3 hours procedure, can be done under different types of anasthesia, can be daysurgery procedure and all depends on the size of the deformity, and the general status of the patients and many other factors.

And It requires a qulaified and expert plastic surgeon to do.

Just make sure that your surgeon is qualified and had enough experience to proceed.

Good luck

Fatema S. Alsubhi, MD
UAE Plastic Surgeon

Exercise before tummy tuck

+1

Most certainly, yes, exercise before tummy tuck for strength, flexibility, endurance, and your mental well being.  Not just your core, everywhere.  Increasing your lean body mass will provide more protein that your body will mobilize post operatively to support healing.  From a metabolic standpoint, surgery is a stressful event.  You become catabolic for a while.  You will not be able to exercise during this period, so get it in now.

Steve Laverson, MD