Exercise After Rhinoplasty...When is it Okay To Do Intensive Cardio Workouts?

I am a 24 year old female and am having a little work done on my tip and the "scrapping" off some nasal cartilage. I normally do weights 3X week & cardio 3X week. However, I wanted to do the 2 month Insanity workout program- high intensity cardio (lots of jumping and core work). If my surgery is May 7th would it be to crazy to start insanity june 4th? Also, before june 4th, what kind of workouts can I do? Is swimming after 2 weeks of recovery okay? Thank you for your time. I am also a rising M2.

Resuming exercise after rhinoplasty

+2

It is best not to exercise at all for the first 2 weeks to avoid increasing blood pressure and heart rate, which might cause a nosebleed.  You may resume exercising two weeks after surgery, working up to intensive cardio workout at three weeks.  It is best to avoid contact sports for at least a month after the procedure is performed.

Exercise following rhinoplasty

+2

You'll want to avoid any strenuous activity for at least 4-5 weeks after surgery.  If you exert yourself too soon, you may increase your swelling and your healing time.  I would recommend waiting to start the program. A little bit of light swimming after 2 weeks is ok, but you do not want to push yourself too hard for the same reason. Thanks, and good luck with your recovery!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after Rhinoplasty

+2

I instruct my patients to abstain from strenuous physical activity (anything that raises your blood pressure, pulse, or breathing rate) for 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty. For the next month they can be as physical as they want as long as there is no risk of nasal trauma. After that, there are no limitations. Regardless of what we say, follow the instructions of your surgeon.

Most patients may resume unlimited physical activity 3 weeks after Rhinoplasty Surgery, in my practice.

+2

This question needs to be answered by your surgeon, but I do not permit any strenuous activity till 3 weeks post-op. Premature exercise could lead to nasal bleeding or unnecessary swelling.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Workout After Rhinoplasty

+2

It should not be a problem to work out a few weeks after a rhinoplasty.By one month after surgery the nose should be relatively stable.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Cardio after rhinoplasty

+2

Your nose will be fully healed after four weeks and you will be ready for your 'intensive' program at that time. Keep in mind that the internal swelling will be with you for several more weeks. Before four weeks, yet after one to two you can start any low impact activity where you will not get hurt.

Intense workouts after a rhinoplasty

+1
Intense workouts, such as Insanity or P90x, often have high levels of exertion and can have exercise partipants shaking their bodies and noses.  As a rule we limit shaking of the nose, including running for at least 4 weeks after rhinoplasty.  Other activities can be substituted in its place such as weight lifting with an emphasis on gradual return to maximal exertion over a period of 4-5 weeks.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Six weeks after surgery

+1
I generally advise patients not to workout strenuously for about 6 weeks after surgery, and that includes swimming.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Intense cardiovascular exercise after rhinoplasty

+1
Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. The amount of downtime varies greatly as well.

Return to work and social activities varies greatly based on the person. Patients tend to feel well within a few days after rhinoplasty although they have the splints in place, may have some swelling, and feel congested. There does not tend to be a lot of pain following rhinoplasty so most patients are able to do light activities like reading, typing, walking, etc. Depending on what was done during surgeries, patients may need to avoid the use of glasses for 4-6 weeks to allow adequate healing to take place. Additionally, some surgeons may have preference for avoiding certain foods, blowing the nose, etc. Typically, somewhere between 4-6 weeks, you can return to strenuous activities including intense cardiovascular exercise and strength training. You should clarify with your surgeon what restrictions you have and when you can return to normal and strenuous activities.

Jamil Ahmad, MD