Exercise After Paranasal Implants

I'm a 36-yr old female and I just had paranasal implants put in 2 days ago. All I have right now is swelling and no pain. I'm on the antibiotics, of course, and I want to be careful, but I want to exercise again. My doctor said no "vigorous" exercising for 2-3 wks but he said walking in the first few days is okay. I'm a runner, but also I know I need to keep that at bay for a while after surgery. But I really want to go to the gym because I feel like a big tub of laziness. Beyond casual walking, is speed walking and yoga okay for the first week after a procedure like mine?

Now is Not the Time to Push It

+2

You have way too much at stake to risk.

Don't pay for a couple workouts with a complication.

You may end up with a prolonged recovery or worse.

Don't push it now; heal properly.

You can ruin a good surgery with a bad recovery.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Speed walking not okay for the first 2 weeks post-op.

+1

It is a good idea not to perform any heavy-duty exercises for two weeks after any type of elective surgery. The idea here is to prevent nosebleeds. Stay out of the gym for two weeks in the postoperative phase. Casual walking and yoga (as long as you are not bending over) are acceptable but speed walking is not ok in the two-week postoperative period.

Paranasal Implants

+1

As you know, paranasal implants are used to correct mid-face depression - especially around the bone opening for the nose (pyriform aperture). The implants are typically alloplastic (silicone rubber or Porex) and can be combined with a rhinoplasty or done separately. Some surgeons secure these implants with a screw; however these implants, like chin implants, are very secure I suspect that you can engage in yoga and speed walking at this point, but I would call your surgeon just to be sure.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Follow Your Surgeons Instructions, Things Could Be a Lot Worse

+1

Hi Squirrely,

Relax; you will be fine not working out for a few days. I once went eight years without going to the gym and was very surprised by how it was like I didn't miss a day when I returned.

I am not sure what "paranasal sinus" grafts are, but listen to your surgeon. Is it really worth ruining the surgery that you have had on the middle of your face, for the rest of your life, just because you need to get back to the gym? If your surgeon said you can go for a walk, do that.

The treadmills and boot camps will be there next week when you are healed. As far as yoga and speed walking, I would not recommend them unless you are interested in having five days of extremely uncomfortable nasal packing and bed rest.

I hope that you have a rapid and uncomplicated recovery. As for me, I'm off to work out :).

Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Limit your exercise as your doctor said.

+1

Any exercise that increases your heart rate can cause more swelling. Therefore, yoga and speeding walking may do that. Try to enjoy your forced time off.

Talk to your doctor

+1

Your doctor is the one to answer all of these questions. This forum is not designed to fish for answers that are different than your own doctor's answers because you are anxious to workout. Be patient and follow your doctor's directions.

Robert M. Freund, MD