Exercise After Minor Rhinoplasty Revision

I just had a closed revision septorhinoplasty surgery to shave off some cartilage and remove some subcutaneous scar tissue from my open-primary last year. This time, the pain, bleeding, and discomfort were minimal. No bone was broken.

How soon can I start vigorous low impact aerobics (elliptical and stationary bike) and light weight lifting without serious risk to the results. My surgeon only made a vague 1-2 weeks remark. It's day 4 & I have almost no pain when I press on my nose.

Excercise after revision rhinoplasty.

My recommendations concerning postoperative exercise and rhinoplasty vary depending on the degree of dissection instead of whether it is a primary surgery or a revision rhinoplasty.  For minor procedures such as a simple tip refinement or a revision dorsal modification I instruct the patient that they can begin light exercise (less than 40% of maximum age specific heart rate) at 1 week and build up to full exercise at 2 weeks.  For full-on cases then I restrict them to very light activity for 2 weeks, then light exercise starting at 2 weeks and building to maximum exercise at 4 weeks.

I would suggest that you ask your surgeon to clarify his instructions.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

3600 So. Logan St.
Englewood, CO 80113

Exercise after nose surgery

In almost all rhinoplasty surgery the nasal skin is lifted off the underlying structures and must re-attach during the healing period. Strenuous exercise can cause swelling or fluid to accumulate under the skin and delay healing. The length of time necessary to allow your nose to heal will depend on the extent of the nasal surgery, and, therefore, your surgeon's time suggestions should be followed. Additionally with any physical activity there is always the chance of getting your nose hit or injured which is a definite no-no until the healing has taken place.

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

6655 Travis St.
Houston, TX 77030

Exercise after Minor Rhinoplasty Revision

I suggest you ask your surgeon to clarify the post-op instructions. I instruct my patients to avoid strenuous activity for 2 weeeks after surgery and avoid anything that might result in nasal trauma for 6 weeks after surgery. Having said that, ask your surgeon to clarify his/her instructions and follow those recommendations.    

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Exercise after rhinoplasty

I would wait for at least two weeks. Though you seem to be recovering very well (and obviously keen to get back on your bike :)), there is a risk of bruising/swelling which may affect the outcome.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

22 Somerset Road Edgbaston
Birmingham, West Midlands B15 2QQ

Recovery after revision rhinoplasty...

After having a Rhinoplasty you should expect to have some bruising and swelling.  Recovery time will vary from patient to patient beause everyone heals at their own speed.  Most patients are able to return to work after one week.  Even if there is a little bruising, it can usually be covered up with makeup.  Patients should not participate in sports or strenuous gym activities for two weeks after surgery.   Be sure to discuss your plans with your surgeon to make sure that everything is healing correctly before resuming vigorous activity. 

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

1150 Amboy Ave
Edison, NJ 08837

Post-op activity

You should follow the instructions of your surgeon.  Even if there is no pain, physical activity can increase your blood pressure and cause bleeding.

Sam Naficy, MD

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Exercise after rhinoplasty

It is vitally important that you follow your surgeon's instructions after rhinoplasty. If your surgeon recommends waiting 1-2 weeks, I would wait at least 2 weeks. Exercise after rhinoplasty can lead to fluid accumulation and prolonged swelling. Even if your nose looks good to you now, that can change if you exercise prematurely.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

2731 Executive Park Drive
Weston, FL 33331

Exercising after revision rhinoplasty

I would trust your surgeon since that's who knows what was done to your nose best.  It your surgeon said 1-2 weeks I'd wait 2 weeks.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104