Exercise After Augmentation?

Good afternoon, How soon after surgery can you resume light exercise such as walking (or other activities that don't involve upper body)? Most things I've read say six weeks, but I can't imagine that anyone could stay sedentary for that long! I'm worried about muscle loss and blood circulation. Thank you for your time! Alexandra

Exercise after augmentation

+4

Although guidelines may vary from surgeon to surgeon, I advise my patients not to engage in any exercise for at least 4 weeks after surgery. This timeline includes a strict guideline of no work, school or other activities for one full week immediately after surgery.

It might seem excessive to stay quiet for so long but it really is an important aspect to the healing process. Within that first week after surgery, we really want to give the body every opportunity to heal itself. Spending energy on activities outside of the healing process is only going to prolong the time required to fully recover and may even negatively impact your results. It is also very important that when you have received the go ahead from your doctor to return to regular exercise that you approach the activity as if were the first time. Listen to your body and don’t push yourself too hard too fast.

Exercising

+2

Even though every surgeon's recommendations are different, I recommend waiting 3 weeks after breast augmentation to exercise. This gives the breasts plenty of time to heal. Patient's seem to do well with this regiment.

All the best

"Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Exercising After Breast Augmentation

+2

Dear Alexandra,

You should be walking within 1-2 days after the surgery so you can have the circulation at its best; restroom trips are included. In other words, you should not be doing your regular gym exercise but normal walking should be part of your daily routine as being completely sedentary will impede your recovery and could put you at risk.

As for moderate/heavy exercise, it depends on the details of your surgery; it is up to when you achieve an acceptable level of recovery (usually about 2 months after surgery) that you can resume heavy exercise and lifting.

I encourage you to communicate with your surgeon and follow the given recommendations as best as you can.

Thank you for your questions.

Best of wishes.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Recovery

+2

Alexandra,

Hello and thanks for the question.

I typically have my patients refrain from upper body exercise ( including refraining from lifting weights greater than 10 lbs ) for a period no less than 4 weeks.  Low-impact lower body exercise may be resumed at the 2 week mark, assuming the patient feels up to it.  My recommendation is to follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Exercise after augmentation

+2

Hi, most surgeons use the 6 week number to include vigorous upper body activities. for normal life activities, i think one week is plenty and for lower body exercise 2 weeks are enough. only the upper body pec flexing exercises have to wait longer.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Exercise after a breast augmentation

+2

In my practice for most patients, I recommend that they limit aerobic activity for 3-4 weeks, and strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks.

Exercise after BAM

+2

I generally recommend holding off on any exercise for 3-4 weeks after breast augmentation.  But please ask your PS about his/her specific recommendations.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Exercise After Augmentation

+2

Your plastic surgeon should be able to direct you based on the specific of your case. Typically, walking begins as soon as possible for the patient, and light activities can between in 1 - 2 weeks. You slowly ramp up the activity level as appropriate for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Exercise after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Your plastic surgeon will be able to guide you during your recovery after breast augmentation surgery. Generally speaking, most patients are able to resume light exercise involving the lower body within the first 1 to 2 weeks after breast augmentation surgery. At roughly 2 weeks after surgery I suggest patients begin to use the stationary bicycle.  The 6 weeks that you are referring to is probably referring to upper body workout.

Exercise after Breast Augmentation

+2

That's a great question. We recommend you do begin walking lightly immediately after surgery.  The main thing is not getting your heart rate up for about 2 weeks after surgery. No heavy lifting, upper body exercise for 3-4 weeks after surgery. Most patients are back to all full normal activities at 6 weeks.

Joseph DeLozier III, MD