Excited to Have Boobs for 1st Time in my Life! What is Good Size to Stay Natural Looking? Silicone, Saline? (photo)

42 yo, 5'2" 105 lbs, BWD 12 (I think), currently 34A. Small chest my whole life, recently decided I want boobs for the first time, ideally full B. Think I want silicone but left breast is slightly larger so not sure silicone will work. Runner and triathlete so don't want to go huge. Had two consults one PS said 235 mod due to BWD, another said up to 275 mod plus would look very nice on my petite frame. Is there much difference between those - any thoughts based on my stats and photos?

Implant Selection Process

+1

I would recommend silicone placed under the muscle.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Picking the perfect breast implant

+1

Silicone implants will give you a much softer and more natural feel.  I believe that it is very important to try the breast implants on in your surgeon's office prior to surgery so that you can make sure you and your surgeon share the same vision of beauty.   I would caution you that 235 cc is a very small implant and I would definitely recommend trying it on before surgery.   Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Excited to Have Boobs for 1st Time in my Life! What is Good Size to Stay Natural Looking? Silicone, Saline?

+1

Because of your asymmetry you might consider salines though not as natural as silicones,.\. Or use 50 cc different silicones to correct the asymmetry. I might also consider abodes as you are an athlete. 

Selecting an implant type for a petite framed woman with small breasts

+1

My general feeling is that if the final breast augmentation is more implant than you then a gel filled implant will give you a better result.  They appear to have a more natural appearance and avoid the possibility of rippling along the edges.  Depending upon the size you want to be you should look at implants in the 286 to 304 range, moderate plus, these are made by Alleragn. You are in the range and any implant within this objective range will be good. 

What size implant for me ?

+1

Many thanks for your post. Its clear that on line answers to such questions perhaps should not be attempted however I can give the guidelines that I follow in reaching a conclusion.
• Each patient has different liking of  shape of breast so called “natural” for her which may be very much not real for someone else.
• Some women like a midline cleft, some don’t and like to see some distance between the two breasts, some like to see some fullness on the outer side some like full upper pole that is visible above the bra and still some like to see fullness below the nipple. What I call ptosis is very natural look for some patients. Therefore what is that the patient is looking for is only possible when she comes with some imaged picked up from net to understand what is her choice and desires.
• I luckily have a large collection of sizers that patient tries in front of full size mirror with unpadded bra to see how she looks.
• The last question then remains is under or over the muscle and this I explain to them .Depending upon the thickness and bulk of tissue under the skin and the amount of breast tissue along with the laxicity of skin that help them to decided which is better for them.
I am not sure what advice from above will be of any help for you in deciding your size

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Thin patients probably better served by silicone gel implants.

+1

In the photograph there is very little subcutaneous fat. Contour irregularities are more likely to be seen with saline implants. I would suggest you strongly consider the use of silicone gel implants.

Best Breast Implant Size/ Profile for Me?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

As you can imagine, despite your good description of body type and goals, it is not possible to give you precise  advice online.
The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “huge” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Despite your breast asymmetry, I would suggest the use of silicone gel breast implants  in your case. I routinely use different size and/or profile breast implants in cases like yours to improve breast asymmetry.  You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more about the pros/cons associated with each type of breast implant.

+1

I would say little enough difference that it might be hard to tell if one of each were used. My suggestion would be to try both of the sizes on with a bra and tee shirt. I would slightly prefer the moderate plus for the added projection, but really , there is not a lot of difference. If the size difference is noticeable, different size silicone implants can be used.

All the best. 

What size implants

+1

Thank you for the pictures. It sounds like both the plastic surgeons you saw gave you good advice. The difference between 235 and 275 is 40cc. You probably have a measuring cup that is marked in cc and you can see for yourself how big 40cc is. You can also try the rice in a baggie trick and fill a baggie with 235cc of rice and another with 275cc and try them in a bra to see which looks better to you. You can also try on your clothes and see how they fit with the different amounts. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon