Is Excisional Biopsy of Mole After Laser Helpful?

I have nearly 10 moles in my face. My dermatologist suggested for Nd yag laser removal. I had my first session today( Total required is 6or more). But now I am having douts if i should continue. Is it of any use if i decide to go for excision and biopsy at this point? Since i have had my first session of laser removal already would the biopsy results be altered? Also my doctor suggested me not to use any lotions even sunscreen for few days? Exactly how many days?

Excisional Biopsy After Laser Surgery to Moles

+1

First off, if you don't want to continue lasering the pigmented lesions then don't continue. Why are you removing the pigmented lesions? For cosmetic reasons? Because the doctor recommended the treatment? Using a laser on the pigmented lesions will impact how they look under the microscope, but a good dermatopathologist can take that into account when examining the slides. Most dermatologists would not use a laser to remove moles or nevi because it's possible that not all of the pigmented lesion will be removed and because there would not be any tissue available for histologic examination to confirm the pigmented lesions were benign and not malignant. Talk to your doctor or seek a second opinion and discuss your options further. Good luck.

Biopsy of mole after laser treatment

+1

I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. There are many ways to surgically remove a mole with a minimal scar and have tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future. One laser treatment will alter the biopsy results but should not be significant if you are having the moles excised at this time.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon