Excision to Remove a Tattoo?

I'm African American, and I have a small all black ankh tattoo on my wrist. Can an excision remove it? Would it also be best just to have excision, as I'm not concerned with scarring either?

Small tattoos respond well to surgery

+1

Yes, this is a great option for a small tatttoo of the wrist.  There is extra skin there and as long as you are willing to accept a scar in place of the tattoo, you should be very happy with the results.

Arlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Excision for tattoo removal

+1

Excision is an option but you might want to consider laser removal as well. Excision is quicker, one time for a small tattoo versus laser several times but no scars.

Best of luck.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Serial excision of tattoos

+1

This is possible if you have enough skin to recruit or the tattoo is small enough. If not sometimes this is performed using serial excision. This means you excise as much as you can and close the skin so there is not excessive tension on the wound. At a later date when the skin relaxes (usually 3-4 months), you can come back and remove more.