Excision Best for Deep Insect Bite Scar?

I have a deep scar from an insect bite. It's almost 5 months now. I consulted a dermatologist and plastic surgeon, both are of the opinion that it needs scar removal surgery and even after surgery, the entire spot may not go. The dermatologist mentioned that the tissues underlying the scar are dead, needs to be removed, and the skin has to be stitched. Is there any other option or do you think this is the right way to go? Thanks in advance!

Insect bite scar and surgery

+1

The treatment for insect bite scars on the legs are difficult. Although your scar is pigmented, surgery alone will likely lead to a lengthier scar and more pigmentation. 

Web reference: http://www.karemd.com

Excision for deep scar sounds reasonable

+1

It sounds like since both of your opinions agree that you are on the right track. For deep set scar removal of most (if not all) of that scar tends to produce the best result in most cases.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Excision and laser

+1

You did the correct thing in asking for two opinions. Since both your plastic surgeon and dermatologist agree that surgical excision is the proper avenue, who would I be to disagree?

After the scar has been revised, a touch of either the pulsed CO2 laser or Er: Yag laser would be of further benefit.

Good luck.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.