Excessively Swollen 8 Weeks After Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck- What Should I Do?

I had breast reduction/lift, tummy tuck and liposuction on my back on June 28 .I didn't drain much and now I am getting very bloated in different places such as my face, neck, Arms and legs. Plead help!

Recovery Following Mommy Makeover Surgery

+1

Patients undergoing mommy makeover surgery can anticipate significant swelling in the immediate postoperative period. In most cases, this swelling resolves rapidly with the vast majority being gone in about three weeks. Almost all of the visible swelling is gone in about 4 to 6 weeks but in some cases, significant amounts of residual swelling may persist for 3 to 4 months following surgery.

Persistent fluid retention occurs for a variety of reasons. Patients are typically given significant amounts of IV fluids during their surgical procedure. In addition, the body responds to trauma or surgery by retaining fluid as a protective mechanism.

Under these circumstances, patients can see significant swelling and weight gain from fluid retention following mommy makeover surgery. This swelling typically peaks 5 to 7 days following surgery, but in some cases persists for longer periods of time. This type of swelling isn’t localized to the surgical site.

Compression garments and low salt diets are frequently utilized following mommy makeover surgery to minimize swelling. Persistent swelling should also be evaluated by your plastic surgeon to rule out more serious problems. With time this type of swelling resolves with conservative management.

For these reasons, we feel it’s important for the patient and the surgeon to have good communication regarding this topic immediately following surgery. In this situation, a little reassurance can go a long way towards making this a more comfortable experience. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Fluid retention after surgery

+1

Fluid retention after any surgery is not uncommon.    It takes time to heal and there is nothing that can be done to speed this process along.  In general you are 50% of the way there at 6 weeks and 80% at three months.  Relax and give it time, get back to your normal activities and let your body heal.   Atlanta Plastic Surgeon Dr. Z

Swelling 8 weeks after breast reduction and tt

+1

Hello Lynda, thanks for your question. It's perfectly normal to have swelling 8 weeks after surgery, especially after a breast reduction and tummy tuck.  You should definitely follow up with your plastic surgeon to make sure you don't have a fluid collection (seroma) that needs to be drained.  I advise my patients to wear compression garments for at least 8 weeks after surgery to help reduce swelling. You should have a talk with your plastic surgeon to express your concerns and seek his/her advice.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Bloated 8 weeks after surgery

+1

Did you mean January 28? Assuming "yes" make sure that you are not eating too mach salt, which will make you retain fluid and feel bloated. Sometimes a reaction to Ibuprofen can cause swelling. Check with your doctor.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Swelling after cosmetic surgery

+1

You may be having a reaction to your medicines or you have drainable fluid collections.  Visit your plastic surgeon soon to get checked out.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

See your surgeon...

+1

It might just be your body's process of healing, but at 8 weeks any unusual swelling mandates a visit to your surgeon.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Post op swelling

+1

With the surgery you had performed, swelling is not uncommon but should improve within three months of surgery. However you also mention swelling of other areas and I think this should be further evaluated by your surgeon as well as the possibility of fluid retention or seroma of your abdomen. Your breast may take several months longer for swelling to resolve

Richard Linderman, MD

Bloating after Surgery

+1

Swelling does take time to subside but I would suggest that you follow up with your surgeon because he/she will know your history and when you say "very bloated", I may take it differently because I don't know you vs. your surgeon who has taken you through the process.

+1

Long term fluid retention after 8 weeks post operative is a bit unusual. Seek medical attention to determine if you are third spacing or have vascular dynamic issues. 

Swelling After Body Contouring Can Last 3-4 Months

+1

It is not unusual for patients who undergo extensive body contouring to have swelling and a bloated sensation for a few months afterwards.  Patients can go through alot of ups and downs as they heal, with swelling getting better or worse at various times.  You juts have to be patient, and usually by 3-4 months, all of the swelling has subsided and patients can really see the final results and feel like themselves again.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon