Excessive Nose Flaring - What Procedure is Best?

My nostrils and the base of my nose are usually quite small. But sometimes, for example when I breath faster, my nostrils don't just flare a bit, but they get really really big. Is there any surgery that can be done to get rid of those excessive nose flaring? Maybe a technique that doesn't involve a incision in the crease where the nostril wall meets the cheek, because the base of my nose is already really small.

Reducing Nasal Flaring with Rhinoplasty

+3

Excessive nasal Flaring or widening of the nasal opening can affect the overall look of the nose and the person. The size and the flaring of the nostrils can be reduced by rhinoplasty. It is very important to examine the results of your plastic surgeon prior to surgery in order to see their experience with this procedure. The last thing that you want is to look like Michele Jackson!

Nostril narrowing operations

+2
If you have well defined alar sills and large nostrils, the alar base excision can often be limited to that area and does not have to come up the lateral walls of the nose into the alar creases. Without a picture, I cannot tell if this approach would apply to you. But also, as you state, your nostrils are small so this may not work for you. Excising tissue at the alar facial junction without narrowing the nostril may be your only surgical answer. It is always my preference to narrow the base of the nose with as little external scarring as is possible. If you have a dynamic , movement type of, problem, a test treatment with Botox appropriately placed may lessen the unfavorable flaring temporarily Send us some pictures that show your problem and you might get more specific answers.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon