Excess Upper Eyelid Skin After Asian Eyelid Surgery?

I had asian eyelid revision surgery about 7 months ago. I have a lot of excess skin above the incision which folds over the it, making the eyes seem droopy. Is this just due to swelling even though im 7mo po? My scar is still not flat.

Excess skin can be re-excised; make sure it is not blepharoptosis.

+1

At 7 months post-op, most of the swelling should have resolved. If you still have excess skin above the incision, the skin can be re-excised. Some surgeons, such as me, leave a slight excess skin for the Asian double eyelid surgery to account for skin contraction and thereby a more natural look. Occasionally, this excess skin does not contract sufficiently and thereby leaving the eyes looking droopy necessitating a revision.

However, make sure you did not have a condition called “blepharoptosis”or “ptosis” to begin with. Asian double eyelid surgery creates only the supratarsal crease and does not necessarily repair the ptosis. Although, if a person has ptosis and; simultaneously, lacking supratarsal crease, he or she then can have the Asian double eyelid procedure with ptosis repair done at the same time.

Residual excess skin after asian eyelid surgery

+1

If you do have residual excess skin above your new-fold, the good news is that excess skin can easily be removed under local anesthesia.   I would wait about 4-6 months after your asian eyelid surgery to consider a revisional procedure. 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Extra skin after Asian bleph

+1

Most of the swelling should be gone after 7 months, although since it was a revision the healing could be a bit slower. If there is still extra skin after a year you may need a revision.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon