Can I get rid of excess skin on the upper eyelids? (Photo)

I'm 18 and I have excess skin on my eyelids. I will visit my doctor soon to talk about this, but I think it's because of my genes, my mom have the same thing. Can I get rid off excess skin by blepharoplasty?

Young patient for blepharoplasty

+2
Although 18 years of age is young, it is not unheard of to have a blepharoplasty if there is congenital excess skin or eyelid ptosis.  Best to see a plastic or oculoplastic surgeon for an in person exam.

Excess skin upper eyelids

+2
Although 18 is quite a young age to be considering this, an upper blepharoplasty is technically the correct procedure for your upper eyelids.

Roy Ng, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Can I get rid of excess skin on the upper eyelids?

+2
Though possible at your age of 18 very doubtful to do upper lids skin removal. Best to wait til in your 20s..// 

Upper eyelid problems and Blepharoplasty

+2
Upper eyelid blepharoplasty is essentially the removal of excess skin. This typically causes extra folds and rolls of skin, as shown in your picture. It also can cause the skin to hang so low that it blocks vision (not in your case).

An upper eyelid lift or blepharoplasty is exactly what would correct the problem you describe.

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible upper eyelid surgery

+2
In an upper blepharoplasty procedure, skin is removed from the upper eyelid and sometimes fat is removed as well.  It would be very unusual for an 18 year old to need any upper eyelid surgery however.  You would need to be examined to determine if you might possibly be a candidate for such a procedure.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes,

+1
Yes,

that is the reason for having upper eyelid blepharoplasty. Excess upper eyelid skin is one of the reason for having this procedure as well as excess fat or puffy eyelids. There are few medical condition can cause to have excess and loose skin over upper eyelids as a young person. one of these conditions is blepharochalasis (which is recurrent swelling of the eyelids). most of these causes are genetic and there are family members suffering from the same symptoms. So please make sure to talk about all the symptoms common with your family member (mother) that has the same excess skin issue. Also this excess skin could be related to droopy eyebrows. So the eyebrows has to be evaluated as well as eyelids. 

Soheila Rostami, MD, FAAO, FABCS
Reston Oculoplastic Surgeon

An upper eyelid blepharoplasty will remove the excess skin.

+1
You are very young for this type of surgery.  But if bothered by this skin, an blepharoplasty should easily remove it.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon