Excess Skin over Tummy Tuck Scar

After I had my last daughter, my doctor found an umbilical hernia. I was scheduled for surgery and decided to have a tummy tuck at the same time. I was advised they would not disconnect my belly button. Doctor decided no drains were needed. I have a lot of numbness in my abdomen. I had all my post-pregnancy belly, but my friends who have had C-section say it's common. I am concerned about a pooch above my scar. I haven't gained a lot of weight and it has been there from the time my surgery was done.

You should see your surgeon

+2

If no drain was used for your abdominoplasty, you may have a seroma (fluid collection) under the skin on the lower abdomen.  It's not dangerous, but may need drained.  It is usually a simple office procedure.  You may also just be swollen (if your surgery was recent). 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Bulge could be related to fluid, scar, or tissue injury

+2

Fullness above your abdominoplasty scar could have a number of causes. These would include tethering of the scar to the underlying muscle causing buckling of the skin above. In addition, it is possible you developed a small fluid collection under the skin which has not resolved. The firmness under your belly button could be related to fluid, or possibly some injured fat in the skin below which could also appear as a bulge. It is also possible there is simply some additional redundant skin not completely removed in surgery. Followup with your plastic surgeon will help you better elucidate the cause of this "pooch".

Glen Brooks, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon

Excess skin after a tummy tuck

+1

You probably have swelling after your tummy tuck. This is not uncommon and usually takes a few months to go away.

Swelling after tummy tuck surgery

+1

Swelling and bruising is very normal after tummy tuck surgery. Depending on how far out you are from the procedure, swelling can be very normal for the first few months along with numbness in the abdominal region. Swelling should reduce significantly within 6 months. If you do not notice a change you may want to let your surgeon know.