Excess Skin on Breasts After Pregnancy. What to Do?

I was a very full DD cup prepartum. They did not get much bigger during pregnancy, but afterwards they shrunk down to a low C/high B - maybe less if the huge amount of skin wasn't there. It's been 4 years. The skin hasn't gone anywhere. You can see huge wrinkly skins. What is the best/most cost effective solution? I would rather they be larger again, because frankly it's what my own self image is and it looks right on my frame. I am so humiliated by how it looks now. I'm only 26.

Excess skin on breasts after pregnancy. What to do?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. This is an excellent question, and one very common for those seeking rejuvenation of the appearance of her breasts, especially after pregnancy. Your complaints are likely due to post-pregnancy changes of your breasts as they likely enlarged and stretched during and immediately after your pregnancy as they became engorged with milk for lactation. Now, they have a typical "deflated" appearance as they have settled but have lost much of the enlargement during your pregnancy. Options to ameliorate your complaints would include implant placement, breast lift, fat grafting, or a combination of these modalities. A consultation with a plastic surgeon may help you decide which procedure(s) may be the best option for you.

It may be wise to wait until after you have completed child bearing, as similar changes will occur after each pregnancy. Also, it is not uncommon to have different sizes of breasts, but I would recommend evaluation if there is a sudden change in one side from another, a mass is felt to account for the size difference, any changes in skin or nipple appearance, or drainage/bleeding from the nipple. Changes can certainly continue after future pregnancies. Hope that these answers help!

Excess breast skin

+1

It sounds as though you may benefit from a breast lift, which will improve the excess skin you spoke of, and maybe an augmentation to help you achieve your desired size.  I would recommend a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon in your area who could give you a more specific opinion after talking with you and performing an examination.  Good luck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Surgery after Pregnancy?

+1

Your description is a very good description of what happens to many women's breasts  during and after pregnancy. Although it is not possible to get a precise advice without direct examination and a full communication of  your goals,  you  may be an excellent candidate for breast augmentation/breast lift surgery. Ideally this operation is done when you have  achieved a long-term stable weight and have completed pregnancies ( if more are planned in the near future).

I would suggest in-person consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons when the time is right. You may find the attached link helpful to you.

Excess Skin on Breasts After Pregnancy

+1

You have a great question shared by many. many women after pregnancy. The hormones of pregnancy change the breast tissue and commonly caused the postpartum involution mentioned by the other surgeons. This is a situation seen by plastic surgeons many times a week in their office. Sometimes just a breast augmentation alone will get you back and smiling and sometimes some degree of a breast lift is required. The plastic surgeon you see will discuss the options with you. As always, consult with a couple plastic surgeons in your area and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Sounds like you should have a great result.

Brett Edward Lehocky, MD
Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

Breast skin excess after pregnancy

+1

Involution or a shrinkage of the breast after pregnancy is not that uncommon, and you can use an implant to restore the breast volume. The skin excess might require some sort of lift or tailoring if the volume you choose is not full enough to fill out the existing breast skin, hand in glove. The best solution will be apparent after a careful consultation.

Excess Breast Skin After Pregnancy: What are Your Options

+1

First of All why do women develope excess breast skin after pregnancy.

• Hormonal changes during pregancy causes the breast tissue to expand in anticipation of breast feeding and the breast skin envelope must stretch to accommodate it.  
  • After breast feeding, hormonal levels return to normal levels and  the breast tissue reduces in size
  • Even with the reduction in breast tissue, the skin envelope can remain large depending on it's elastic characteristics

The treatment of Breast Sagging (Ptosis) after Pregnancy  is dependent upon the degree of sagging

• Moderate Sagging may be treated with a limited Breast Lift but more significant sagging will require a more aggressive lift.
  • In my practice 60% of my patient's opt to undergo a breast lift and a slight augmenation at the same time. 

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift for post partum breast sagging

+1

From your description, you might benefit from a combined mastopexy and augmentation. This is a commonly performed procedure, but it is not a straightforward one - make sure you see a plastic surgeon with experience doing this combined procedure.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Breast issues

+1

Post-partum breasts can someitmes involute like you described.  A breast augmentation with +/- lift may be the solution. You should go for a consultation.

Excess skin and volume loss post pregnancy

+1

If you have excess skin and volume loss, you will likely benefit from a breast augmentation.  Given the degree of sagging and/or excess skin, you also may need a breast lift.  So you have some great options.  Start with seeing a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.  Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS