Help with Excess Skin After Baby and Weight Loss?

I used to be a small size 10 before I gave birth. I've gone right up to a size 22 now. I'm an 18, nearly a 16, and have been focusing on losing weight, but it's depressing when I look down and see this huge mass of numb skin flapped right down like a apron. How do I get rid off this? I am a single parent on income support. This is seriously affecting me as I get upset and dont' like to go outside much because it just hangs there and it's depressing. Feeling it when I walk feels disgusting. Please help me—I'm only 25 years old. Please.

Tummy Tuck May Be the Most Suitable Solution

+1
A tummy tuck may be the most suitable treatment for you, as it can eliminate the excess skin and fat in your mid section. However, to achieve your desired results more safely and improve surgical outcome, it's best to have a stable BMI that is ideally in the normal range. Once you reach your ideal BMI, you can consider proceeding with surgery. Financing options are available. Best of luck!

A tummy tuck will effectively remove your extra abd skin

+1

Lay the groundwork for a successful tummy tuck. Be sure that you are at a stable weight and that you have no untreated active medical issues. Although it is difficult, the more weight that you lose, the better your result will be and the shorter the surgery, as well.

Before your surgery, you would be well with a full medical exam and work up as well.

Be sure to perform your research on all of the plastic surgeons that you are considering. When funds are limited, complications from surgery performed by unqualified (non Board Certified) plastic surgeons are not affordable.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Large abdominal apron following pregnancy

+1

Losing weight may help reduce the bulk of this mass but only surgery will eliminate it completely.

I do not understand the nuances of the NHS but you may want to discuss the medical aspects of this with your primary care physician and ask about coverage for a panniculectomy (simplest form of a tummy tuck).

In the USA, occasionally these are performed at reduce rates within the context of a plastic surgery training program. There are fantastic plastic surgery training programs in Glasgow and you may want to contact the University to see of this opportunity is available to you.

Excess pannus

+1

The best thing for you to do is to go on a diet first.  Once the weight come off with diet and exercise you can then have a tummy tuck to remove the loose skin.

Benefits of a tummy tuck

+1

You would benefit from a tummy tuck. However, you are still very young and I would recommend losing as much weight as you can before getting any surgical procedure done. Once you reach your goal weight, then you can go ahead with surgery. The reason I am suggesting this, is because you will have a longer lasting result. If you choose just to get thde tummy tuck now, your resutls will be drastic, but you may be motivated to lose more weight and may end up with more loose skin. Diet and exercise alone is not enough to get rid of all the excess skin and stretch marks. You are a great candidate for this procedure!

In need of tummy tuck without funds

+1

From the photo you submitted, which is very helpful, it is clear that you need this skin surgically removed. In all likelihood, your abdominal wall muscles also need to be repaired. Both of these things are done in an abdominoplasty.

Since insurance will not cover this and you are low are funds, a possible lower cost option than a private doctor is to find a hospital in your area that has a plastic surgery resident training program. A hospital that trains doctors to become plastic surgeons. At least in the US, these hospitals often have clinics which are run by the residents, who are surgeons. The residents perform the surgeries under the supervision of a fully trained plastic surgery attending. The procedures performed through the clinic are often much less costly compared to a private doctor. Hopefully this is available in the UK as well.

DO NOT select a surgeon who is not board certified, even if they are less expensive. Board certified plastic surgeons have met strict training and education requirements, have passed rigorous tests and meet patient safety criteria standards. Your safety is is the most important thing, do not sacrifice it over cost issues. Hope this helps.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

A Panniculectomry Could Help!

+1

Your excess skin is probably not going away with just diet and exercise but would probably respond to a panniculectomy. This surgical procedure essentially removes this excess skin. Going one step further, a formal tummy tuck would then not only remove this skin but also tighten loose muscle underneath. This procedure would really be the gold standard.

Good or bad, both of these procedures are generally deemed cosmetic and, as such, are rarely covered by insurance. I would speak with a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and move forward accordingly.

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon