Is This Excess Fat or Skin on my Arms? Will Liposuction Help? Is It Possible It Will Get Better with Exercise? (photo)

I am 26 years old with a lot of weight fluctuation. Currently working on losing weight.

Armlift, Liposuction, Dr. Adibfar, Plastic Surgeon Toronto

+1

Hello;

I recommend you stay on the course of achieving your ideal , stable weight through proper nutrition and exercise especially upper extremity weight training.

Given the fact that you are a young person you should be able to achieve your goal without any surgical intervention. Should this not be the case then you would benefit from liposuction since you seem to have good tone on your arm skin.

Thank you and best of luck.

Concerns about Appearance of Upper Arms?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. I would suggest that you stay the course you are currently on; achieve a long-term stable weight through healthy diet and exercise programs, including upper extremity weight training. Once you have achieved your goals, evaluate the appearance of your upper arms again. Hopefully, you will be able to stay away from any surgical intervention. It is possible, given your youth and probable good quality skin elasticity, that liposuction surgery alone will be sufficient to achieve your goals.

I hope this, and the attached link, help.

Liposuction or upper arm lift

+1

A lot of women tell me they wont wear short sleeves because of their arms. However after an upper arm lift they may not wear short sleeves because of the scar. I am very conservative with the upper arm, and due to you age and the fact your skin looks good, I would recommend liposuction. Its quick, easy to recover and I believe would make a big difference. Obviously after an examination and discussion of your wants i could give a better formed opinion.

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Is This Excess Fat or Skin on my Arms? Will Liposuction Help?

+1

Although your photo might indicate that liposuction may give you the result you desire, it is difficult to assess without being seen in person. If you have already looseness in the arms, you may need a brachioplasty (arm lift) but of course, that would leave you with a scar. Exercise would certainly help you tone and because you are young, may give you a result that satisfies you.

Again, a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon would be beneficial for you. All the best.

Alexander Golger, MD

Is This Excess Fat or Skin on my Arms? Will Liposuction Help? Is It Possible It Will Get Better with Exercise?

+1

Liposuction will likely create a good result in the right hands. Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Brachioplasty vs arm liposuction

+1

Arm liposuction reduces bulkiness of arms without much effect on tightening of arm skin.

Brachioplasty tightens arm skin but usually leaves behind undesired scarring.

Seems like you have to choose among above two options.

Arm exercises are good for restoring tone to arms but not effective enough to tighten arm skin.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Young arms

+1

You're young and skin tone looks good. Liposuction with a good arm weight lifting routine may give you a good result with little scarring. You could always do a larger excision in the future if needed, but that comes with a bigger scar. A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with a lot of arm experience can examine you and give you more information. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lift

+1

In evaluating the arms and what procedure is most appropriate, the amount of fat is evaluated, then the laxity of the skin is most important to determine if liposuction or an arm lift is needed. If the skin elasticity is good, then the skin may retract back. If the skin has lost its elasticity then one needs an arm lift to remove the fat and tighten the skin.

As one looses weight, if you loose weight in the arms that may improve the amount of fat and the bulges, the skin needs to be of good tone and elasticity to retract back, otherwise it will hang.