Excess Fat Below Chin and my Neck- Looking Old

I am 47 and have excess fat below my chin and my neck looks old. What would you recommend and how much would it cost?

Liposuction or Facelift for Excess Chin Fat

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to have concerns about the aesthetic appearance of the chin, jawline and neck.  These concerns are usually related to skin laxity, neck fat, muscle abnormalities and deficiencies of the underlying bones.  The type of procedure performed to correct these problems is entirely dependent upon the anatomic cause of the condition.

In your case, it’s difficult to make a recommendation without pictures or the ability to perform a physical exam. In someone who is 47 years old, fat accumulation, loose skin and muscle laxity could contribute to your problem.  The treatment plan could vary depending on which of these finding is actually present.

When fat is present and the skin has good tone, liposuction of the neck may provide adequate treatment.  When loose skin or muscle weakness is present with or without fat accumulation a facelift variant is usually always necessary.

For these reasons, it’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this area.  This surgeon should be able to help formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for your problem 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Laser Liposuction or Neck Lift may be required to remove excess fat under chin and rejuvenate neck

+1

Several options are availble to remove excess fat under the chin and tighten sagging neck skin. An examination by a good Plastic Surgeon should help you decide which procedure is best for you.

Generally speaking, if the main problem is excess fat under the chin or "double chin", then Laser Liposuction often produces excellent results (see photos in link below.)

The benefit  of Laser Liposuction is that the heat from the laser also tightens loose skin which helps avoid neck skin laxity that can occur after traditional non laser liposuction.

If, however, you have very loose skin under the neck and the presence of Platysmal Bands (linear bands of skin hanging down below the chin), then a surgical Neck Lift may be required. A board certified Plastic Surgeon will be able to advise you on your particular situation.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Excess fat below chin

+1

You may benefit from a necklift in addition to liposuction of the neck. I would be able to give you the best advice after seeing photos. Thank you, and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Liposuction of the neck and chin may be all you need.

+1

Hi!

Of course, it depends on the individual anatomy, but at your age, liposuction of the neck and chin may give you a lot of improvement with very little surgery.

If the skin is too loose, then you may also need a neck lift.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Fat and Skin below the Neck

+1

Hi,

What you are describing is most likely treatable with a limited liposuction and a minilift. The fat can be sucked out with liposuction and the skin redrapped with a minilit. The cost of the procedure can range from $6500 to $000 depending on how much work needs to be done.

You can look at the links below where I describe my version of the minilift.

Dr. S

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Lose or fat neck and chin requires individualized diagnosis and treatment

+1

While it may seem obvious that the problem under your chin is excess fat and loose skin, in reality, the best solution is not as simple as isolated liposuction usually requires a more thorough understanding on the surgeon's part.

The area under your chin is built in layers like your belly - skin on the surface, then a layer of fat that can be liposuctioned under that, then a paired muscle (platysma) which loosens with age, then a deeper layer of tough, fibrous fat under that, and finally the bones/cartilage/muscles of your neck itself.

Achieving truly excellent, and enduring, rejuvenation of that area requires the surgeon to truly treat each of those layers appropriately, and not just suck out fat and pull everything else "up and back".

With great skin elasticity, it is possible to achieve a truly great neck and jawline solely through an incision under the chin. With moderate elasticity, incisions behind the ear become necessary. With poor elasticity, or if the mid and upper cheek need to be treated (not just the jawline), incisions in front of the ear become necessary as well.

As for cost, this will vary from state to state, as well as with what procedure your physician is performing, and his skill & expertise. I would guess you will find a range anywhere from $5000-$12000 for all-inclusive fees for this spectrum of possibilities.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

A short scar facelift with neck liposuction may provide you with the best facial rejuvenation.

+1

Your age, and your description leads me to think that a short scar facelift with neck liposuction would be an option for you to explore. If your neck looks old, then liposuction alone will not likely suffice.

I'm not a big fan of isolated neck lift procedures, since your whole lower face and neck age at the same time. A short scar facelift will address your neck, jowls, and midface leaving you with the most natural look.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift for sagging skin of neck and double chin

+1

A neck lift may entail a liposuction, muscle tightening or suspension, and/or skin removal. Furthermore, optimum results may require a face lift (upper/lower) and/or fat grafting, and/or chin implant placement or jaw surgery, and/or skin resurfacing procedure. A neck lift by itself may not produce your desired result. During the consultation we may determine that other procedures are better suited for your optimal outcome.

The procedure(s) to be performed is a complex decision process determined based on your desires, anatomy, practicality, and wound healing. This is usually determined at the time of the initial consultation but may need to be adjusted intra-operatively.

Surgery may take as little as 1 hour but may easily take longer depending on the complexity of the procedure; the entire process takes about 5-6 hours and is performed on an outpatient basis.

We generally recommend that you take a week off work and avoid strenuous physical activity for three weeks. Compression garments are generally required during this time.

The surgery can be done in several different places (hospital, office surgical suite, or surgicenter) and the prices vary accordingly with the last being the most affordable.

Necklift is The Best Treatment for Sagging Neck

+1

A necklift along with neck liposuction gives the best result. It is similar to facelift but scar (incision) is not as long and does not extend in front of the ear to the upper hairline. Recovery is about one week.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon