Excess Cartilage on Only One Side of Nose, Is this a Simple Procedure to Have Done?

Hi, I have what I believe to be excess cartilage on one side of my nose near the tip and it makes it look like I have a crooked nose. It wasn't there when I was really young, it grew when I was about 12 or so and it has been there ever since. I was wondering if this would be a very simple procedure to have done because it seems like a doctor could almost just 'shave' off an extra piece of my nose. Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? Is it a simple procedure to have done?

Excess cartilage on one side of nose

+1

A tip rhinoplasty procedure is not necessarily a simple operation.  It is important to diagnose what the current existing problem is and the cause.  We deal with these types of asymmetries in the nose on a daily basis.  You should have an examination of the internal and external portion of the nose to determine the cause and then formulate a surgical plan of action to correct the asymmetries.

Limited Incision

+1

An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon may be able to easily address this problem through a very limited incision and simply shave off the offending cartilage.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Excess Cartilage on One Side of Nose

+1

Excess cartilage on one side would make your nose look crooked. Without seeing you or examining you it is difficult to say how "simple" the surgery would be. A consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will answer your question.

Excess Cartilage On One Side of Nose

+1

Hi Rachel. Thank you for your question. With rhinoplasty, what may seem to you like a simple procedure can be more involved than you may expect. Several factors can contribute to the appearance of a crooked nose. During a consultation, an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will likely be able to provide you with a more clear understanding of the factors that are contributing to your apparent crooked nose and how your nasal appearance may be improved. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Excess nasal cartilage

+1

Without photos and of course ane xam in person, it is difficult to say what exactly would need to be done. Certainly if there is some prominence more so on one side and it is related to cartilage, then it probably is a simple tip procedure.

"Excess Cartilage On One Side of Nose"

+1

Photos would be important in determining how best to reshape your nose. Any reshaping that you require could be done with a closed technique. The closed approach to rhinoplasty allows the surgeon access to the bones and cartilage of the nose without incisions on the outside of the nose. I advise you seek out an experienced plastic surgeon.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

+1

Photos, of your nose from the front, side and below would help in the evaluation.  I have performed Rhinoplasty for 20 years and IMHO, you can't use simple and Rhinoplasty in the same sentence.  If there is an asymmetry of the nasal tip caused by tip cartilage that's uneven, a Tip Plasty would be required.  Common but not simple in the hands of an experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  Modification of the anterior nasal septum may also be required, IMO.

Shaving of cartilage

+1

It's hard to advise you without photos. It is common though for patients to believe that a simple maneuver will solve their concern and look to have that confirmed. Patients don't really know the anatomy and it's interrelationships so often are surprised at what is found to be needed after an exam.  From your description it sounds like you probably do have a crooked septum which pushes the outer cartilages up and out in a way that makes it seem like there is excess.  This cannot be fixed by shaving but needs structures restored to their natural position.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty technique and asymmetrical

+1

I am very glad that you have asked this question.  Becoming educated about the desired procedure will allow you to ask the right questions during a consultation, should you choose to proceed with the next step.  Just as important, researching general opinion about your question may make it easier to receive a surgeon’s recommendations regarding your specific anatomy. 

As the other surgeons have discussed, rhinoplasty is complicated.  It is frequently regarded as the most challenging facial plastic procedure.  Changes that may appear simple to achieve, shaving down a piece or cartilage or correcting a small asymmetry, can have a profound effect on the balance of the remainder of the nose and how the nose interacts with the face. 

It is rare that simple requests are achieved simply.  I agree with your other consultants that without images it is impossible to answer your question.  I also think it prudent to prepare for your expectations for more of a detailed procedure than just a simple shaving.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal asymmetry and how to fix it.

+1

Nasal asymmetry and how to fix it depends on the cause and I would need to see photos to give you an informed answer.