I had serious bleeding during my surgery that required my surgeon to close quickly. How can I be sure my surgery was completed?

During my open rhinoseptoplasty, I had some pretty serious bleeding complications. In fact, at some point during surgery the bleeding became so intense that they had to quickly close me up. My surgeon said that he was able to complete everything that needed to be done during my surgery. But what are the chances that this intense bleeding actually started right at the end? Is there a way for me to really know if the surgery was in fact completed 100%?

Bleeding with surgery

+1
The best way to know if everything was completed during the surgery is to ask your surgeon and wait for the result.   Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Rhinoplasty Bleeding during Surgery

+1
Dear Tangbugg, In my thirty years of rhinoplasty expertise it is extremely rare to have excess bleeding during a rhinoplasty surgery and certainly not to much bleeding to be closing a case quickly. Do you have any hereditary bleeding problems? To reduce the risk of bleeding I have all of my patients stop taking aspirin, ibuprofen or aspirin containing products, or other medications that are associated with bleeding several weeks before surgery. This also includes herbs and vitamins which are known blood thinners. With that said the best person to discuss your surgery with is your surgeon as he/she will be able to tell you what happened during your procedure and if the bleeding did in fact cause any interruptions of the surgical plan. I also run a preoperative bleeding time to see if the patients have any clotting problems. If you have any further surgery you may want to have a workup ahead of time. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

+1
While bleeding can certainly occur during any nasal surgery, it is very rare to have bleeding issues that might require a premature termination of the procedure.  Rather, if that occurs there might be other medical issues going on such as uncontrolled high blood pressure that require a surgical procedure to be stopped.  You should clarify these issues with your surgeon as has been stated already by others, there would no reason for your surgeon to be less than truthful. 

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Typical amount of blood loss during rhinoplasty, septoplasty

+1
It would be exceedingly rare to encounter bleeding so intense that the nose would have to me "quickly closed up".  This sounds strange for a couple of reasons.  First, it is rare to lose anything more than a minimal amount of blood during the course of an entire rhinoplasty/septoplasty surgery (typically less than the volume of blood taken for labs).  Second, if there was "intense" bleeding, this bleeding should have been controlled before closing up.  Meaning, the bleeding should have been stopped before closing.  

The only one to know for sure what was or was not done during surgery is your surgeon.  Ask him to address your concerns.      

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Bleeding

+1
I agree with Dr. Menachof and would tell you to just ask your surgeon what occurred and when. There should be no reason for him to hide anything from you. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

I Understand Your Concerns- But Why Would Your Surgeon Lie?

+1
I understand your concerns but your question is a curious one. Do you have any reason to believe that your surgeon would lie to you? Ideally, your choice of your surgeon occurred not only because of the surgeon's level of expertise (there are plenty of us who are technically very good), but also because of a level of comfort you had with him. Although most surgeries go smoothly, there are always things that can happen. If they do, you need to know that the surgeon you choose is going to use good judgement, do what is in your best interest, and be honest and truthful with you. If you had concerns about any of these things before the surgery you should have continued to look for a surgeon. While I am sure there are surgeons who are not completely truthful with their patients when unexpected things happen, me and most every surgeon I know always tell the truth. I would hope (and do expect)  that yours is telling the truth as well. Thinking about it logically- having so much bleeding that you have to close early is a very unusual problem and is likely due to an underlying bleeding issue with you and not due to an error on the part of the surgeon (sometimes things happen that are out of our control). In this case, if he had to close before he was done, he was doing it with your best interest at heart and if he wasn't done, you will certainly find this out when the swelling goes down and you see the final result. If this was the case, it would have been in his best interest to tell you. In any case, I would call his office and set up a time to sit down and talk to him about your concerns. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon