For My Breast Shape, What Would be the Best Incision and Implant Type, Size for Me? (photo)

Hi everyone, well I'm 5'6", I weight 155 and I have 1 child. I was looking for a breast augmentation like a full D cup but my question is what type of breast implant should I get, also what size is appropriate for me and what type of the incision would you doctors recommend?

+2

Hi Grace,

Thank you for your question and photos.  Yours is not a straight forward case.  You have several issues that have to be addressed: 1. your breasts are pretty far apart and pointing laterally.  2.  You appear to have some glandular ptosis (breast tissue below your fold). 3. Your aerola are pretty large and you may some small degree of tuberous breast shape.  This is where a good physical examination is important, but I think you would need a breast lift (either a periareolar or a small verticle lift), in addition to implants.  I prefer moderate plus profile gel implants in a subglandular plane for cases like yours.

I hope this helps, but you really need an experienced Plastic Surgeon for your case.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Because you have narrow breasts on a wide chest I would really be careful with large implants because your whole body will start to look wide and a lot of women dont like that

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Implant Selection Process

+1

I would recommend a donut shaped or lollipop incision to lift your breast, reduce your areola size, improve symmetry, and correct the mild tubular deformity.   In terms of size, i order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Best incision

+1

It looks like you have a bit of ptosis and large areola. It may be worthwhile to consider a circumareola lift with the implants and so going through the nipple region  may be a good choice. An exam would be most beneficial to determine the best approach.

Implant size for breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon can tell you what is possible but you get to decide what size you want to be as long as it is feasible. In order to reduce the size of your areola, I recommend an incision around the nipple as the approach for the implants. Discuss with your plastic surgeon what type and style of implant is best for you.  There are many sizes and shapes. Without measurements, I can't answer that for you. Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tuberous Breast with Large Areola Requires Special Breast Augmentation Procedure

+1

You need to consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specific expertise in Breast Surgery.

Your breasts have a Tuberous as opposed to round shape and your Areola are larger than average.

Generally speaking if the typical Breast Augmentation is done through an Inframammary Incision beneath the Breast it is likely that the Tuberous Breast will sit on top of the implant and the implant will not properly fill out the breast.

If you are happy with the size of your Areola then a transareolar incision through the Areola has the best chance of making the breast rounder and properly accommodating the implants.

A Mastopexy and Breast Implant will allow for reduction of the Areola and lifting of the Breast if you prefer a new higher shaped breast.

See an expert.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Best procedure to correct breast volume and wide areola

+1

The biggest question is do you want larger breast volume or do you want an improvement in the overall shape and symmetry of your breasts.  There are two main problems with your particular breast anatomy apart from overall lack of volume.  You have a some degree of breast sagging with a very large diameter areola.  The best procedure for you would be a combination of a breast lift procedure with an incision around the areola as well as in implant with a sufficiently wide base diameter to fill the bottom portion of the breast pyramid.  

Some direction

+1

Most of the answers you have received mention that you need to be physically seen by a plastic surgeon in order to decide on a plan that will give you the best results- which I agree with.  Here is a suggestion based off of the pictures posted- Possibly a circumferential incision/lift around the areola to lift and remove excess skin to give your breasts a perkier and rounder (tear drop) shape with a silicone implant placed under the muscle.  There is a before and after picture on my photo gallery of a patient that had very similar breasts to yours and that had this procedure/technique-  under Breast Lifts- it's #25. There are several other similar photos on the site for you to use to gague what result you are looking for.

Happy to answer any other questions or to discuss further.

-Dr. Salzhauer

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Breast Shape, Incision Location, Implant Type for Grace

+1

Hi Grace!  I so agree that the best way to go about it is to have a nice chat and examination by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon but here are two major issues, based on your aesthetic goal:  options for breast enlargement - silicone versus saline, round versus anatomical implants, shape of implants - so called low / moderate / high, size of implants, under or above the muscle etc  AND options for changing your breast contour - do you want fuller breast but without a lift or do you want a lift and what are your thoughts on decreasing the areolar (colored part around your nipple) diameter???  You have wide spaced breasts, a tubular (or narrow) shape, and some mild sagging - you are a candidate for a breast augmentation and donut lift - you would increase your size and change your shape to a perkier, more rounded look with your nipples more up and in - which I believe would be pretty - but beauty is in eye of beholder so hence the need to review your options with a board certified plastic surgeon:)))

Ghada Afifi, MD

What breast incision and what type of breast implant would best be used for my breast augmentation?

+1

While phtographs are very helpful in determining aspects of a planned plastic surgical procedure, a consultation with an actual examination of the breasts would be most helpful. Having said that after reviwing your photos I think you can eihe have an infra-areolar( at the low end of the areola) incision or underneath the breas( inframammary incision. You can have either saline or silicone implants, the pros and cons of each which should be discussed with your surgeon. It appears that your left breast is a bit smaller and therefore need 2 different sizes.You also may  want to reduce the size of the areolas.Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD