Hello Everyone, I Recently Had 3 Moles Laser Removed from my Face, Is the Redness Normal After 1 Week?

1 of my moles was flat and 2 were slightly raised. It is a week since i had these done, and i wanted to know how it is supposed to look now? as mine are still red where the moles used to be and it almost looks like the moles are still there except it is red where it used to be brown. I'm keeping them moist with vaseline and hoping that the redness fades and none of the brown pigment will be left. wondered what to expect and when i wil know if i need to have another session 2 remove completely?

Mole removal

+1

Hopefully a biopsy was done prior to lasering these moles.  The redness and swelling is common after a laser procedure.  You can switch from using vaseline to using a moisturizer.  Also, try to avoid sun exposure.

Mole removal by laser

+1

You can have redness and puffiness 1 week after mole removal.  If the moles were brown, the pigment will probably return since most lasers cannot penetrate to the depth of the mole without leaving a scar.  If the moles recur, consider surgical excision so the moles can be sent for analysis to ensure they are normal.  You should use sun protection to prevent darkening of the scars.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Moles should never be removed with a laser

+1

I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. There are many ways to surgically remove a mole with a minimal scar and have tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon