Will I Eventually Be Able to Lift Weights After Breast Augmentation?

I work out 3 days a week. I do a mixture of dead weights (only 15kgs) and cardio and I love running. I am wondering how long it will take for me to get back to my full potential after breast augmentation. I really want to go under the muscle for a more natural look but have been told that it will make my muscles really weak and may not be able to lift weights after. Thanks

Can return to full physical exercise

+1
You may begin your regular exercise routine 3 weeks after surgery, except upper body weight training. Upper body weight training and push-ups should not be done until 6 weeks. Particularly when implants are placed under the chest muscle, upper body weight training before 6 weeks could cause bleeding and subsequent hardening (capsular contracture). I have performed breast augmentation on several athletes and fitness models without adversely affecting their physique or ability. You will be able to lift weights with implants, however you should start off slowly and gradually build up to your desired intensity. However, you should always ask your surgeon for their advice. Their guidelines may be different.

Lifting Weights After Breast Augmentation Surgery?

+1

I have many patients who enter fitness competitions after breast augmentation surgery with no problems (see link below).

You have to allow yourself time to heal and follow your surgeons advice regarding how quickly you can return to upper body workouts.  For most patients (and for most activities) return to exercise ( involving the upper body)  resumes approximately 4 to 6 weeks after the procedure.

I would ask that you discuss your specific activities planned with your surgeon.

Take your time after about a month you can do anything!

+1

You can resume daily workout after at least 3 weeks after the breast augmentation procedure. Your body will let you know how much of your usual routine will you be able to complete. Take it slowly at first and start with light exercise and add on every day. Be careful with weight lifting. More likely you will be ready for it 4 weeks after the surgery. Do not overdo. You do not want to compromise your surgery results. After about a month you can do anything!

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Weight lifting after breast augmentation

+1

Studies of muscle function after sub muscular breast augmentation show that the pectoralis muscle is weaker after surgery.  However, most people would not notice the difference unless they were lifting competitively.  If you are very concerned about this, you could consider sub fascial placement of the implant which could give you a nice result if you have the right anatomy for it.  This would also avoid the "active" or "dancing" breast animation that can happen with sub muscular placement and weight lifting.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and weight lifting

+1

I generally advise my patients to hold off on any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4 weeks after breast augmentation.  At four weeks, I clear my patients to *gradually * resume activity as tolerated.  This includes exercise and weight lifting.  But the key word is * gradually *.  Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Weightlifting after Breast Implants

+1

You should be able to eventually work out normally as you did before the breast implant operation.  We restrict aggressive physical activity (i.e. weight lifting) for 6 weeks following the procedure in effort to prevent early migration of the implants.  This can occur due to pectoralis muscle action on the implants before the scar capsule has formed.  You shouldn't notice any appreciable difference in strength of the chest muscles either.

Christopher J. Schaffer, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Weight lifting after Breast Augmentation

+1

My standard instructions for submuscular breast augmentation patients is you may do light cardio at 2 weeks, full cardio at 3 weeks, and lifting weights at 6 weeks. Of course everyone heals differently but that is the basic guideline I use.  Once you have completely healed you may do any weight exercises you did before the surgery.  The implants are tough and so are the pec muscles.  Discuss you concerns with your PS but it should not be a problem. I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon