Even if my Skin Contracts After Lipo, Will It Feel Different to the Touch?

I have seen many pitures of liposuction (esp abs/back/flanks) where really impressive skin contraction occurs. But I have also heard that superficial lipo damages and thins the skin in areas where it is performed, particularly the abdomen. My concern is that, even if my skin contracts, it will not have the same soft, smooth feel it does now. I understand that abormalities (dimpling, lumps, skin laxity etc) can occur, but even if it contracts and LOOKS smooth, will it feel unnatural?

Liposuction and Texture of the Skin Postop

+2

The texture of the skin after liposuction initially has a different texture due to the sweling, but the texture usually does not change.  If you have tight skin, you are likely not to have contour irregularities if you follow postoperative protocols.  The greater the amount of loose skin and the less fat you have, the more likely you are to see skin changes assuming everything else is equal.

Contracted skin after liposuction

+2

Liposuction is a great tool for removing unwanted fat deposits.  While some skin tightening can occur in response to the inflammation associated with liposuction, it is not a substitute for a skin tightening procedure such as a tummy tuck.  That being said, the contracted skin after liposuction will usually feel normal.  Occasionally you can have an ara of fat that can become inflamed following the procedure, giving the overlying skin a firm or hard feeling but this will usually resolve with time.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Skin Texture After Liposuction

+2

If the liposuction is performed by an experienced physician, there is no reason that skin will feel any differently after the procedure. You may have some areas that feel a bit odd or numb to you for a while, but the actual texture of your skin should not change. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Smooth skin after liposelection

+2

superficial liposuction can be dangerous if badly performed. i do use vaser liposelection, which is a unique technique to address and redrape the superficial layers, and get the greatest skin retraction, without damaging the superficial fat layer, vessel, nerves and collagen fibers.this is because the technique is addressing only fat tissue m and not the other anatomical component of the body, if well performed, this is the solution. skin will look as smooth as before if treated properly 

Alberto Di Giuseppe, MBBS
London Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+2

There may be some danger to perform very superficial liposuction. This can lead to irregularities and may affect the quality of the skin.

Skin texture

+1

Liposuction should not effect the texture of your skin. The skin will still be smooth. You may see some fine waviness if you have good skin tone

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Liposuction and Skin Contraction

+1

I would suggest you seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to evaluate your skin quality and the fat distribution that is causing your concern. This will enable a thorough discussion of the recommended treatment and realistic outcome expectations in your specific case.

Bryan G. Forley, MD