Will Rhinoplasty Straighten my Nose?

Hi and thank you reading. I'm considering a rhinoplasty as I am very unhappy with my nose. My nose makes my face look unsymmetrical. My face looks worse when viewed from right hand side. My question is can my face be set back to normal? Does my case require open or closed rhinoplasty? I assume osteotomies would be required. Will this mean I will have large amounts of bruising after surgery considering my case? Is this a straightforward case? I feel my nose is worse then most peoples. Thank you.

Rhinoplasty

+3

Shaka,

After reviewing your photos, I believe an open rhinoplasty with osteotomies would be helpful in lending "balance" to your face. Bruising is not uncommon after osteotomies but not always seen. Consult with a BS plastic surgeon for a more thorough evaluation. Good luck.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Glabella and Rhinoplasty!

+2

Your nose is an interesting learning case. Why?

1- the twist you describe is significant and certainly be improved, but all patients must understand the perfect is the enemy of good. Often, the cartilage that is straightened has memory and wants to go back to where it used to be.

2-You have a prominent and long nose. The length is defined by the distance from the glabella to the tip. The glabella is the depression of your nasal profile between your eyes. In your case your blabella is non-existent. If the bump is removed any semblance of glabella is eliminated and your nose appears longer. Be sure that your doctor creates a deeper glabella.

Good Luck!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Rhinoplasty to straighten the nose

+2

Osteotomies are performed at the time of a rhinoplasty to straighten the nasal pyramid.  In addition, spreader grafts are also used to straighten out the upper lateral cartilages and improve airflow dynamics through the nose if valve collapse and vestibular stenosis is an issue.  This can all easily be done under closed rhinoplasty, so open rhinoplasty is not necessary.  After the osteotomies are performed a cast is applied across the nose and bruising will remain approximately 10 days after the procedure.  Look for a rhinoplasty surgeon who has preformed thousands of rhinoplasties in their career to address this straightforward type of problem.  

Well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery may help to improve the appearance of your nose.

+2

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos. You appear to have a long nose with a droopy tip, along with an indentation along your right bridge, and a profile-hump. You should consult several certified, reputable rhinoplasty specialists and view many photos before proceeding. Computer-imaging may be helpful for you to see what to expect after well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can rhinoplasty straighten the nose

+2

Yes, a rhinoplasty can straighten your nose to create more symmetry. Osteotomies would be helpful to reposition the nasal bones. Bruising is common after osteotomies, but is self-limited resolving in about 2 weeks.

The surgical approach used varies depending on the surgeon. An examination would allow for an assessment of your nose in more depth to see what exactly needs to be done. I would recommend visiting with a few board certified facial plastic surgeons or plastic surgeons to see what can be done. Be sure to consult with surgeons who have extensive experience with nasal surgery.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Considering Rhinoplasty? Go for It!

+2

Your nose can be improved and if it is bothering you, suggest you consult with one or more surgeons and get it fixed.

Can be done open or closed. Osteotomies will be necessary and you may require internal straightening of the nasal septum. Bruising will depend on complexity of procedure and to some extent, the skill of the surgeon. However, bruising always disappears so that should not stop you from looking better.

Your case,  because of asymmetries, is not simple but not the most complex either.

Best advice is to study up, visit only very experienced and highly specialized nasal surgeons and then make the decision. Indecision is misery.

My book, SECRETS OF  A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON discusses all the issues you are concerned about. Worth a read.

-Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Robert Kotler, MD

Rhinoplasty to straighten the nose.

+2
See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. He will be able to straighten your nose as well as refine it cosmetically.

Straightening a Deviated Nose

+2

From your photographs it is clear that you have a left sided deviation of the central aspect of the nose and the tip comes back toward the middle - producing an overall "C" shape. This can make the face appear asymmetric or a result of preexisting skeletal asymmetry.  No matter the cause, straightening the nose can help restore facial balance.

This surgery would require a restructuring of the underlying bone a cartilage and would most likely require an open approach with significant cartilage support to maintain the new, straighter form. All noses will bruise and swell after a procedure and that shouldn't be one of your major concerns.  You should however be looking for an experienced nasal surgeon who you think can correct your current complaints.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Rhinoplasty to straighten the nose

+2

Rhinoplasty can indeed straighten the nose, and cut in the bone called osteotomies are needed for shaping. Often the shift is related to a deviation in the septum of the nose as well and correction of the septum will help breathing, and stabilize the nose as any twist in the septum can cause the nose to shift after surgery. You will likely bruise to some degree.

peterejohnsonmd

Rhinoplasty, Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty, Nasal Refinement, Nose Job,Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty, Los Angeles Rhinoplasty

+2

From your photos, the nose appears to have a large nasal hump that always goes to the right in a C shape.  A Rhinoplasty to reduce the nasal bridge would also require the nasal bones to be fractured to close the open roof.  This can make the nose appear more straight but the cartilage at the end of your nose also appears to be deviated to the right.  Straightening that out would require some trimming and manipulation of that cartilage as well.

When having a Rhinoplasty for nasal straightening, it's best to have reasonable expectations because the nose rarely is ruler straight after any Rhinoplasty.  This occurs because the two sides of the face are different heights...the eyes, nostrils and corners of the mouth are at different levels from right to left side which automatically makes the nose less than ruler straight.  These differences can't and should not be altered during a Rhinoplasty.

The goal of Rhinoplasty is to create a more aesthetically, natural, attractive appearing nose....not a pefect one!