Can You Evaluate my Uppper Lid Ptosis Surgery? (photo)

These photos are 18 months after my uppper lid ptosis surgery to correct my blepharoptosis. Prior to my surgery my eyes were symmetrical. What can I do about this? Should I get a second surgery or is this better left alone?

Ptosis after surgery for ptosis and belpharoplasty

+2

secondary surgery after ptosis repair for asymmetry is very common even by the best of oculoplastic surgeons

perfect symmetry may be impossible.  it would appear that you are concerned enough for a revision or at least a second opinion

You have significant residual ptosis.

+2

There are two principle means of addressing upper eyelid ptosis: Anterior levator resection ptosis surgery and Conjunctival Muellerectomy ptosis surgery.  No one can tell you from photos posted online which of these surgeries your are a candidate for.  In office testing is how we decide on the appropriate surgery.  Please be aware a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon is the type of specialty plastic surgeon you should see.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery has a geographic directory of these surgeons on their website (asoprs.org) that will help you find a highly qualified surgeon in your area.

Evaluating ptosis repair

+2

There are two components to ptosis repair: the cosmetic improvement is one, and the improvement in the visual field is the important second. Most covered ptosis repairs require a visual field test which you might repeat to see if your vision is still restricted by the lid droop.

peterejohnsonmd

You would benefit from revision if done properly.

+2
You have ptosis more than asymmetry. You would benefit from levator advancement for ptosis. You get multiple consultations. Your asymmetry can be improved but not 100%

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis repair and asymmetry

+2

More information is needed, but everyone ahs some asymmetry before and after any surgery including ptosis.  Ptosis surgery is even more common for asymmetry becuase if one eye was done sometimes the other eye shows some ptosis after surgery as a reflex, and may need to be corrected as well.

Ptosis surgery

+2

The answer depends on how much the result is bothering you.  Asymmetry after ptosis surgery is not uncommon.  Repeat ptosis surgery are not uncommon as well.  You still have residual ptosis and mild asymmetry.  You may be a candidate for additional ptosis surgery. Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon