Can you evaluate my Blepharoptosis?

This photo is 18 months after my Blepharoptosis. Prior to my surgery my eyes were symmetrical. What can I do about this? Should I get a second surgery? Comments & critiques are welcome.

Recurrent Sagging of Upper Lids (Ptosis)

+3

On forward looking in a Caucasian man, the pupils should not be covered at all AND a curved crease (the supra tarsal crease) should be visible in the upper lid. When the Levator, the muscle lifting the upper lid off the pupil is damaged or its connection to the lid, the Levator aponeurosis is disrupted by age or trauma, the crease goes away creating a smooth upper lid and various degrees of a :tired eye" are created. You DO need a revision Ptosis repair.

Unfortunately fixing upper eyelid ptosis is not like taking out the appendix.

+3

Eyelid surgeons have an enormous disadvantage when it comes to eyelid surgery including ptosis surgery.  The problem is that the eyelid must heal even at the same time it is opening and closing.  For this reason, the body is attempting to undo the very surgery that was just performed.  It is not surprising then that revisional ptosis surgery is relatively common.  I recommend that you get reassessed by your eyelid surgeon.  Yes your eyelids are ptotic and you may benefit from revisional surgery.

Still drooping after all these months

+3

I am making comments assuming that you were not born with congenital ptosis and your ptosis is not associated with any muscular disorders such as myasthenia gravis. You still have bilateral ptosis worse on the left despite one attempt at correction. You probably need a second surgery to tighten up the levator muscle tendon a bit more. I don't like where your eyelid crease is (too high) but not much can be done about it now. Consult with an ophthalmic plastic surgeon.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Ptosis Revision

+2

Actual eyelid ptosis is a very complicated problem. Most times, the surgery is done while the patient is awake so that the proper eyelid height can be achieved. After surgery, there are many causes for the eyelids to be un-even and revisions are common. I would suggest you return to your surgeon and discuss a revision operation.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon